TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is gen tech or not, but after acquiring an 8.8 rear end, my room smells like old gear oil. its not too bad but my roommate is complaining. im not going to get it rebuilt just yet (lack of $$), but i would like to know what to do to get rid of or reduce the smell. i tried air freshner spray and threw a few fabric softner sheets in the box with the pumpkin, but it still smells. can i take it to the DIY car wash place and hose out the inside of the carrier with water without damaging anything (the cover is off and the TL is attached inside the case)? throw me some suggestions guys.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Don't spray it off, unless you give it a real good coat of WD-40 afterwards. I'd get some of those super large trashbags, and wrap it a couple times in those, and then air the room out really well, and spray everything down with Febreze. Gear oil has a real strong smell, and it's not easy to get rid of.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The only thing you can do is move it outside. I have had a new container of friction modifier...never opened and double bagged and the smell still gets out

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Great Obucina said:
you know what the friction modifier is made out of right?
sure dont, educate me.

the smell isnt really strong, its just kinda there. ill try the garbage bag method.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:

Dino Droppings?????????:zdunno:
whale splooge. Scott used to refer to it as diff jizz....im glad im going to have someone else do my gears:D

joseph

1 - 9 of 9 Posts