TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 LX 4.6L. Has been my wife's car since we bought it new. 96k miles and still runs like a dream. I am getting ready to do a tune up just to get the old stock wires and plugs replaced.

I want to start doing some mods and would just like some tips on where to start first.

I will post a few pics soon. The Car is Green with Tan Leather Interior, Luxery Light group. very clean. My neighbor is a paint and body guy and he is gonna clean up the paint job for me.

Everything on the car is stock right now..... Ok what do I do first.......

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
umm

start by reading the technical articles section, lots of helpful stuff there.

One thing though, can you select a different username, we have one person by that name already, A-Train, he's a long term member that knows his stuff, and we just don't want any confusion

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Prob

Not a problem. Atrain has been my nickname for 20 years..... I will change it

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Thanks man

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick Question

It won't let me register again. Say's I already registered? Any idea on how to get around this?:D

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Yeah, tell me what you'd like your username to be and I can change it for you.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
me too. I was a little confused for a bit. But hey, I would say the first thing to do to your bird is take out that crappy air silencer. It's located directly under your air box inside the fenderwell. the easiest way to take it out is to unbolt your airbox and take out the bolts that hold up the air silencer, then there is a clip closer to the front of the car, just cut that off with wire cutters or a knife or something and it will fall right off. I jacked up my car and took off my front passenger wheel and then took off the splash guard to get it out, to take off the splash guard, there are two screws located at the bottom of the inside of the well on both sides, just unscrew those, and then there are two push/pull pins on the inside wall of the well behind the caliper, put pliers around the smaller cirle and pull them out, then when your done just push them back in again. The air silencer kinda chokes your car, kinda like breathing normally and then breathing through a straw is the best description I've heard of it. It frees up air flow and also makes a nice louder engine noise. And if you want you can also buy a 3" rubber plumbing elbow for 12-18 dollars and a 3 inch rubber grommet, the thin kind with the metal shroud on it. you can pick these up at lowe's or some store like that. and then goto an exhaust shop and get about 4 inches of 3 in diameter aluminum exhaust pipe and go to a car parts store and order a K&N cone filter about 6x7 in dimensions and a 3in opening. and then make a cold air intake that goes into your fender. just strap the elbow onto your MAF (the metal thing on your intake before the box) take off your box first by the way, this eliminates it and the panel filter too. but put your elbow on, then on the other open end, jam that rubber grommet without the metal sleeve into the end of it and then put the aluminum pipe inside of that and tighten both ends, then stick the cone filter on the other end of the pipe and tighten that up and you'll have a cold air intake, it should increase your throttle response and hp a bit. If you want, you can buy another elbow and about 1 foot more of exhaust pipe and replace the tube from the throttle body to the MAF. this also requires jamming in some grommets as the throttle body is about 2 1/2 inches big but the elbow is about 3 1/2 - 4 inches big at the opening. it takes about 2 grommet to size that one right, a 3 inch and a 2 1/2 inch one. and then another grommet at the other end to fit to the pipe, then cut a VERY small hole in the elbow to fit in your vacuum line. I mean SMALL hole. if it leaks at all it will mess up your idle and acceleration. make it so small it takes 2 people to push it in there. Good luck and happy driving. Man that's a long post for one small mod.
-Thomas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts