TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been numerous threads about this, so here it goes:

Ok, so youre driving along, a/c or heater on... and you hit a bump in the road. You realize that your fan has stopped blowing... First thing you do is mess with the knobs.. turn it on and off, and just jack with it a while, hoping it will come back on. Then as soon as you get home you post it here, and we point you in the right direction.

Common reasons for heat/ac problems:
1. loose wiring harness.
Easily rectified by wiggling the thick orange and purple wires behind the glovebox. If the fan comes on, then you have a plug gone bad. Take the glovebox off (it's really easy) and remove the harness. Move the prongs inward a little bit on the motor side of the harness' plug, and replace. This will work for a while, but eventually become loose again. I suggest going to autozone and picking up a new motor (the aftermarket one splices onto the old harness (no plug, no problems). It's only 30 bucks and takes about 15-20 mins. to install. This will fix your problem for good.

2. If the fan is stuck on high:
Your blower motor resistor is toast. To fix this, replace the blower motor. Again, only 30 dollars and 30 minutes.

3. After replacing, and/or fixing the harness, nothing:
This one is probably in the wiring, your motor might just be shot, or it's your climate control module. Check the power going to the climate control module with a multimeter.

4. Fan is blowing, but no heat:
This is potentially serious. Something in your cooling system isnt allowing your coolant to circulate. Could be air in the cooling system, a stuck thermostat, a fouled temperature sensor, or a blown HG. It could also be a bad heater core. check for wetness under the dash, and the smell of antifreeze in the cabin. This symptom is commonly paired with overheating, and should be attended to immediately. (Trust me, i did the dumb thing, and pretty much ignored it..)

5. Fan is blowing, but no a/c:
Your a/c probably needs a recharge. If it has been recently filled with refrigerant, get a UV leak detection kit and check for leaks. Probably leaking near the drier/accumulator assembly. (a black canister looking thing)

Hope this helps newbies and veterans alike, I know these are some common problems, and most I have experieced. If anyone wants to add to the list, feel free to post.

·
Super Moderator
13,650 Posts
Try spell check, sentences start with capital letters, and the is not spelled teh. Other than that, thanks for the trouble shooting ideas.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol. i seem to have typing dyslexia. i dont need spell check. (geeky yes, but i was regional spelling bee champ) and i do have trouble with finding the shift key on occasions. (but never the shift lever) hehehe.

·
Super Moderator
13,650 Posts
sinhumane said:
this should be a sticky btw.. there have been numerous threads about this, so here it goes:

ok, so youre driving along, a/c or heater on... and you hit a bump in the road. you realize taht your fan has stopped blowing... first thing you do is mess with teh knobs.. turn it on and off. then as soon as you get home you post it here, and we point you in teh right direction.

reasons for blower motor problems:
1. loose wiring harness.
easily rectified by wiggling the thick orange and purple wires behind teh glovebox. if the fan comes on, then you have a plug gone foul. take the glovebox off (its really easy) and remove teh harness. move teh prongs inward a little bit on the motor plug, and replace. this will work for a while, but eventually wear out again. i suggest going to autozone and picking up a new motor (the aftermarket splices onto the old harness (no plug, no problems) its only 30 bucks and takes about 15-20 mins to install. this will fix your problem for good.

2. if the fan is stuck on high, your blower motor resistor.
to fix this, replace teh blower motor. again, only 30 dollars and 30 minutes.

3. after replacing, and/or fixing teh harness, nothing:
it is probably in the wiring, or its your climate control module. check the power going to the climate control module with a multimeter.

4. fan is blowing, but no heat.
this is potentially serious. it is in your cooling system. could be air in teh cooling system, a stuck thermostat, or a blown HG. It could also be a bad heater core. check for wetness under the dash, and the smell of antifreeze in the cabin. this symptom is commonly paired with overheating, and should be attended to immediately (trust me, i did the dumb thing)

5. fan is blowing, but no a/c.
your a/c probably needs a recharge. if it has been recently filled with refrigerant, get a uv dye kit and check for leaks. probably leaking near the accumulator assembly. (a black canister looking thing)

hope this helps newbies and veterans alike, i know these are some common problems, and most i have experieced. if anyone wants to add to the list, feel free to post.
Yea, I'm bored. Staying up late tonight because I'm working late tomorrow night; trying to get into 3rd shift mode. Typing dyslexia makes for some interesting words. Punctuation counts too.:D

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'm still wondering if "teh" is the gay new way we're spelling "the", or if everybodies fingers just seem to get ahead of themselves typing it lately. Either way it seems to be gaining popularity. lol

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
What to do when heat/ac don't work!

easy, rip the crap out....it slows you down anyway.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
_95badbird said:
What to do when heat/ac don't work!

easy, rip the crap out....it slows you down anyway.
except in the extreme heat of summer <- i know
or teh extreme cold of winter<- i also know.

i bought my car in the middle of july with constant temps over 100. the accumulator had sprung a leak and leaked all teh freon out. not fun when youre going to work, and stick to a cloth seat. and teh motor went out about two weeks ago (since replaced) but cold mornings with no heat are a b!tch.

and for teh nitpickers, i'll edit when i get home.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
My blower motor needs to be replaced, it likes to make squealing noises when its cold out. It's very annoying, but setting it on high stops it, or turn the music louder.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
So "teh" is the gay new way to spell it, huh? I thought it was something to do with Taoist beliefs. If your going to use it as slang at least get the context right. lol

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=teh

Perhaps look to Obunca for proper / more current usage. :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lmfao. its not gay... at least i'm not. lol. meh i'll edit it later.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There mister monkey.... you happy now? no 'teh's' or any 'taht's' and i fixeded my punctuation too! now.. who is gonna make this one a sticky?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
lol, just when I was getting used to reading your posts...

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I swapped out my blower motor last night with one out of a 96 Bird. It was so easy getting it out of the junked car. There is much more room behind the glove box then there is in my 89. The sliding tray in the dash was my main problem. It was low enough to get in my way when trying to remove the old and install the new.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lmao. ah well. maybe SOMEONE will make it a sticky now that its all correcteded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts