TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Really? An RX-8 can be had for around $1,500 these days because of blown apex seals and shitty transmissions :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That, I can understand. Me personally if I didn't have my T-Bird, an RX-8 would be my project car. I had one and I lost it when I was in my accident when I went flying (literally) over the edge of a mountain. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Why not an early Honda s2000 or a Mazda RX-8? Both are near your weight targets and with enough "weight loss" will make that 2,500lb target.
Because people want money for those things. I don’t want to spend more than $1500-$2000 tops on the whole project, including purchasing the vehicle, so I want some busted junker that nobody wants that I can pick up for under $1000.

Gunn, I didn’t have time to look through all of those yet, but it looks like you spent quite some time on the jersey Craigslist for me, so thanks! I’ll have time later tonight to look at all of those.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe find an 83-86 Ford LTD or Mercury Marquis (both Fox platform cars). Think curb weight was around 3K but you could prob. shave off enough to make it lighter and they did come with the Essex 3.8 at some point so maybe the swap wouldn't be a total PITA.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I haven't been watching the market because I don't really care for them much, but how about a Maverick? Weren't many of those 4cyl cars? Maybe fine one of those on the cheap?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I haven't been watching the market because I don't really care for them much, but how about a Maverick? Weren't many of those 4cyl cars? Maybe fine one of those on the cheap?
I had to google that Malaise era car. 2.1M cars might have been sold but I doubt any "drivers" (vs collectibles) survived the past 50 years

As far as RX8 and S2000s are concerned, didn't you see the requirement for pre 1995 chassis because of NJ emissions laws?

Mike - I just searched the local CL for sub $3000 cars to see what came up. only 300 choices.

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My buddy Clint had a Maverick that we built with a fuel injected 5.0, trick flow heads, a T5 trans, and a 3.80TL rear. That was a fun car! I think that would fit the bill, if I could find one in half-way decent shape, but any I come across now around here are complete rust buckets.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
$8500 and just needs a little paint*
* and a lot of bondo+fiberglass

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
MOAR BAD IDEAS.
My best one yet: RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO RANCHERO

Comes with a free 350 chevy

Wagon

Denver - Has a decent B20
Not sure how shitty it is b/c no pics

74 Coupe
Needs paint
From TX so no rust.

Pretty 1800ES
This guy probably wants $45K not $45

$800. Trick suspension. ROught interior.
Want a road trip? Wrong portland.

Portlandia loves their Volvos

Seattle. Good breaks

FORD RANCHERO!!

Two Rancheros $800/ea

Runs and Drives
Free Patina

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I’m really liking that last Ranchero! Also just looked up how much they weigh, and they are right at 2500lbs. I wasn’t trying to spend that much or take a cross country road trip in a 55 year old car, but I have to think about that now!

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,468 Posts
The 66-71 Rancheros aren’t too heavy either compared to the 72-79s(which are BOF), they’re not as light as the 60-66 but light enough to be fun. No weight on the back either way so they’re burnout/doughnut machines. Me personally, I really like the black 70 in Oregon.

Is this Roadkill???:LOL:
as long as he uses zipties and hose clamps for motor mounts, and spills all the fluids whatever parking lot he installs it in ?

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The black 70 would just constantly remind me of the 70 Torino that I sold because I was never going to get around to it. Plus that doesn’t run, so it would have to be shipped, which is a can of worms I don’t want to open.

I’ve always wanted to do a cross country road-trip, and have never had an opportunity or reason to do so. I really don’t have time to do one right now, but that car is just calling to me for some reason.

Gunn, how far is that from you? Might you be willing to take a look at it in person for me?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The black 70 would just constantly remind me of the 70 Torino that I sold because I was never going to get around to it. Plus that doesn’t run, so it would have to be shipped, which is a can of worms I don’t want to open.

I’ve always wanted to do a cross country road-trip, and have never had an opportunity or reason to do so. I really don’t have time to do one right now, but that car is just calling to me for some reason.

Gunn, how far is that from you? Might you be willing to take a look at it in person for me?
I'm currently still "playing house" with my remodel but for you buddy, I would have taken a look. only problem is I just clicked now and post has been DELETED. Sorry man..

I'm fully support you on the cross country road trip idea. Fly SWA (free checked baggage), bring a bag of tools, and take the southern route. Doing this in the winter sounds like a horrible idea but if anyone can make it, I'll bet my money on you.

I used searchtempest.com to open up a bunch of searches for various cars across ALL craigslists at certain price point <$3K. That's how I found the Ranchero.

More bad ideas

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I agree that doing this in the winter is a horrible idea! It was never my intention for this to turn into a cross-country road trip, but I’m liking that early Ranchero idea, and CA is probably my only hope to find one cheap that isn’t rusted beyond repair. Maybe I should shelf this idea until spring, then pick up the search in March or April.

Also thanks for the search tip. I never knew how to search multiple Craigslist’s before.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more - easy way to kick off a bunch of cross country searches.

Plymouth Scamp / Dodge Rampage
Poor mans mini el camino
1984 Dodge Rampage 2.2L and More - not running but comes with doghouse

My favorite mini-mino
I seriously doubt theres enough engine bay for the 3.8SC but whatever
Put the engine in the bed under a doghouse

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Pack an ascot
Might be RWD with VW beetle floorpan

Engine bay seems too tight

This guy wants this car gone. Looks complete but not running

80s bumper. Not running but clean looking

Ran when parked

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Here's another search methodology -- look for the vehicle by specs to find something interesting.
  • 1965-1995 (too old = classic, too new = NJ emissions)
  • 1350KG or lighter (in stock form)
  • RWD
  • petrol
Not all cars are available in the US

Interesting ones I found:
Alfa 75 (1985-90)
MB W201 (<2600LB? -- maybe in eurospec)
Opel Manta
Lotus Seven/Variant/Kit
80s Mazda 696/929
Fiat 124 (Canadian import)
Older Chevy MonteCarlo (you could make a bastard GN).

70 Opel Gt - free 350 chevy

Now this is interesting
From

21 - 40 of 44 Posts