TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T-bird, in sig, was in need of new heads. Tip: don't port your heads yourself by hand.

No longer used often, once i got the white smoke, it pretty much sat for a couple years. I would start it occasionally and drive it in my neighborhood to keep it from getting bad.

Recently, after it started warming up this spring, i charged it up and tried to start it. After a few failed tries, i smelled fuel. I got out and there was a puddle under the car. I locked it back up and walked away. Something probably chewed through a line.

Long story short, with a new baby here in a month, and many other responsibilities, I don't have the time or money to work on it or to part it out.

Suggestions?

I also have a garage full of parts including two TC's and a set of Raxles never used.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I would fix it if its not too far gone. I could understand with a baby coming that extra money would be nice though. A compromise would be to sell the extra parts off you have to fix the car with.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would fix it if its not too far gone. I could understand with a baby coming that extra money would be nice though. A compromise would be to sell the extra parts off you have to fix the car with.
good point

Sell it? Did you attempt head porting yourself, is that what you where getting at?

Yeah, i did it when the PI heads just came out, before anyone was selling ported heads. I hit the waterjackets on some. We welded them and re-did them, but it didn't last.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Can we see pix of this 5.4 car?

That would make three...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

That would make three...
Actually its 5 that i have seen so far. Leland's , Millers, Gecko 2424, A no- name with a mark 8 and a lightning motor and no hood, then a fallen4 a kid who bought a basket case 5.4 swapped car who had no idea how to fix the problems with and hasn't been back in years. Oh and the nevergonafinish 5.4 dohc car.

Gecko 2424 it sounds like your done with the car. Good luck to you and your soon to be newborn. BTW what kind of power and or times did your car make?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Thats too bad. PI heads are getting cheaper all the time. I ported mine myself...only in the bowl area since the ports are already big. How much for the TCs? What else do you have for sale? PM me if you make a classified ad. Thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That would make three...
I'll have to find some. It has mostly been sitting for a long time.

I had it dyno'd once. Jerry W. Tuned it himself. The welded 4.6 intake flows nothing. It made only 222 hp at the wheels, but 334 tq, locked in 3rd gear.

I bought a house+land and that became my hobby.

I waited years for the 5.4 hardball'r intake, and that's about the time it began smoking. With some airflow, it should actually have some high rpm power. It will smoke the tires Easily though. Never took it to the track.

I'm on my phone, so will answer?'s later.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to find some. It has mostly been sitting for a long time.

I had it dyno'd once. Jerry W. Tuned it himself. The welded 4.6 intake flows nothing. It made only 222 hp at the wheels, but 334 tq, locked in 3rd gear.

I bought a house+land and that became my hobby.

I waited years for the 5.4 hardball'r intake, and that's about the time it began smoking. With some airflow, it should actually have some high rpm power. It will smoke the tires Easily though. Never took it to the track.

I'm on my phone, so will answer?'s later.
It rained, and i was sick this weekend, so didn't even venture into my garage.

Regarding parts, sometime in the next few weeks i will take pics of parts and start a thread to sell them on here plus craigslist locally. I will link that thread in this one. At this point, i am not yet parting out my car, but selling the spare parts, uninstalled upgrades and other extra items taking up space.

Please be patient. The wife and soon-to-arrive baby are the time priority right now.

If i can raise the funds for new heads and intake, i might make another run at modding the car. If not, I will then consider parting it out or selling it for that purpose.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Put a set of stock Pi heads and a better intake on it. Don't part it just yet. Your busy with the little one on the way but someday when you get some free time you may want to get back into it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with twin turbo, don’t sell it if you like the car, you wont make enough off it to do anything with and when you want to replace it later you may not get a chance get a good replacement. I went threw this 17 years ago with a 1967 mustang, I sold it to get a down payment for my house, I have been looking for one all this time, I just found a reasonable deal on an outstanding coupe last April and grabbed it up.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made up my mind

I've decided to sell it and all the parts in my garage. This is not a for sale thread, so please don't treat it as such.

Having a 3 month old baby has realigned my time and financial priorities. That and my daily driver's AC went out, and it's been in the 100's. The TBird keeps getting pushed back.

The car is as listed in the sig, except the Raxles, which I never installed.

Note the first part of line 3. If you read my history, that was my downfall. It needs new heads. That, and when I tried to start it recently, fuel leaked out before getting to the engine.

While the car is heads + HPS intake + new tune away from running great again, it's probably more valuable parted out. Anyway, watch for the for sale thread.

I will go into detail for full disclosure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts