TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just got the ok from the wife to spend some money on the bird so that being said what to do. the car has around 180,000 miles on the engine not sure about the tranny i have a jmod and a Mark VIII TC. the engine had bad vaules but doesnt leak oil but sure burns alot lol. so would i be better off doing a pi head and intake swap or looking for a new engine and im on a budget of 1000 buck or maybe a little more.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
How much money is "some money"?

That'll help with giving you an answer.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1000 bucks maybe a little more.... if I'm good ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Sorry. I didn't read the post through. My bad. :facepalm:

Yea, for a grand and to fix the oil issue I'd go with a top end PI swap.

That'll stop the oil burning and will give you a nice performance boost. If you can afford to do more I'd look at swapping to 3.55 or 3.73 gears with or without a posi-lock.

Talk to Rob and ask what he recommends and what he can do for you on your budget.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that one on my list to do and search the fourms for some parts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well to do a pi head swap on a 96-97 car right at 500 in labour know if it were a 94-95 you are looking at another 150, do to all the wiring, just remember your car will need new manifolds and I believe thunderchecken has a set for sell,

Robert

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the car won't be drivable at all until I get a tune? And do I have to get everything like the tech article says to like a new oil pump and new fuel pump?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well my price is labour only a fuel pump is extra, and your gonna need some exhaust parts to fix the mess aready there

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes thank u Meinecke for the $300 hack job.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i could but having somebody that knows what he's doing and has performed this tasked several times to do it 500 bucks doesnt sound that bad and i can fork that out. so back to the topic do i really need a new fuel pump and oil pump? and should i buy everthing the tech articles tells me to?

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Just do what I do.

Find the time and the money. Put the car in Rob's capable hands.

Buy what he tells you that you need (he won't tell you to get things you don't need)... and relax while he works his magic. :D

I guarantee you'll be pleased with the work and the results!

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
do i really need a new fuel pump and oil pump?
If you read this forum carefully, you would know that the stock fuel pump will not support a pi engine at wot.

It only has to go lean once, and you're starting over, with a rod thru the block.

Read. Listen.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
fuel pump is cheap 50 bucks labour extra i wouldant waste my money on and oil pump unless u just have extra money i could change that why im in there but i only recomend a ford oil pump, im very picky the head gasket kits i have in stock at 125 bucks, but u need valve cover gasket and timing cover gasket kit and intake ive found the vavle cover gasket kits on amazon for 36 shipped

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are these timing chains any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-00-4-6-V8-SOHC-FORD-MERCURY-LINCOLN-TIMING-CHAIN-KIT-/120310197383?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Model%3AThunderbird&hash=item1c030bec87&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok got my heads off a 2002 explorer and the intake is off a 2003. i just got the valve seals off yesterday (made sure to lable everthing im mean everything lol) im going to clean the up abit first then install the new seals ive ended up saving about 500 extra dollars and im cruious to see what you guys think i should get im thinking new chain and oil pump how about you guys?

http://carphotos2.cardomain.com/images/0016/84/79/16114897_large.jpg?v=1

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I never did a new oil pump when I did a PI top end swap.

Not even fuel pump, but I did have a newer replacement pump from Autozone. The Airtex brand they sell flows more than stock. If you're gonna do a pump you might as well do at least that, if not at least 190lph pump.

With 180,000 miles, the chains likely have some stretch. I'd do the timing chains and all 4 chain guides, personally. I'd clean out the chain tensioners out real good too.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the advice I have a set picked out is there a brand that I should stay way from. And I do plan to upgrade the fuel pump with a pump from RobertP. How long do the oil pumps usually last?

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts