TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, everyone! It's been a while.

Eh, what to do….

I’ve had my 1994 Thunderbird since April 15, 1997. Bought it with 28k miles on it. 20 years later, it has over 435,500 miles on it. That number is even more – impressive – when one considers that, over the last 7 years, it has not moved much. The odometer shows 701,xxx, because it’s metric…heh heh.

Rust has taken its toll on this car. Rocker panels, wheel wells, gas cap area, undercarriage (wiring is exposed in various places). The left rear shock mount ripped away from the trunk well, so there’s a gaping hole into the trunk.

Electrical problems became unsolvable to me (not that I try much, at all, any more). After jump starting the car a few weeks ago, and taking it for a drive around the block a few time, the car stalled while parking it, and would not restart or hold a charge. It made me wonder how I was able to get it out and back for a mile or so drive.

I just think the car’s told me “Enough, thank you. It’s been great.”

The car has more value to me than a salvage yard may offer for it, but I’m not sure I have the tolerance to do a Craig’s List advert. Though most everything works, most everything is old. Cloth seats from a 1993 T-bird SC, a J-modded trans with deeper pan and external cooler that has 225,000+ miles on it…I’ve put 90k miles on the replacement engine, and I got it, used, with 70k on it. Old old old.

Conversely, the tires are barely 2 years old, with about 10,000 miles on them. Even the battery is just a couple years old.

Despite the decent condition of some things, the car is no longer drive-able. Because of the amount of usage, I doubt the car would be a good donor-car. This has me leaning towards salvage, just to get it over with.

What to do…

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If the seats are in good shape, they're worth money. If the trunk lid LED panels work, those are worth selling, along with the taillights. Other than that, don't know what to say. She's lived a long, fruitful life.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I've always thought it would be cool to bury a car and give it a grave stone marker...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hmmmm, besides a Viking funeral pyre... could part out stuff which still works. But the market is so much smaller than it used to be....

That's a tough question! Darned thing's a member of the family by now!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Its maybe more trouble than its financially or realistically worth, but its possible to fix anything. It would take a full on restoration in this case, but its possible. Or, you can strip it out and sell everything. For some people it wont matter how old something is as long as it works, and the engine and trans can be sold as cores.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
If it's as rusty as you say it is, it's probably beyond saving unless your budget is north of $20,000. I'd part it out then scrap the shell.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Since nobody mentioned it yet, have you thought about buying a rust-free car that maybe needs an engine or trans, and swapping what is good on your car over to the new shell?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If the seats are out of a 93 SC and they're cloth that makes them tweed, which are definitely desirable.
Agreed, I have the tweed seats in my Thunderbird and I LOVE them.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
So sad to hear.. :(

I was always amazed, how many miles you put on this car and the history of it..

You know, often times we become attached to things like cars..

Rather than harvest parts off of it like it's an organ donor..It might be easiest to just let it go as is..

Basically drive it to the scrap yard, and make sure it gets squished immediately to put it out of its misery..

You don't want them to part it out either, or you might start missing it and making special visits to the scrap yard just to see it..

Don't make it hard on yourself, just put it out of its misery..

Rayo..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Someone here or at SCCOA will want the interior. All of the panels and stuff are clean. The only thing that doesn't look Super Coupe is the cup holders.

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Since nobody mentioned it yet, have you thought about buying a rust-free car that maybe needs an engine or trans, and swapping what is good on your car over to the new shell?
I agree with Mike if you want to stay in another MN-12.

Joe

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
^^That's the way I would go, get another one to carry on the T-Bird legacy. That's what I did when my 'ol 95 had high miles, though it was only half of your 435k miles! That is a lot of life to get out of a car, can't ask for more than that.

It's a lot easier in the long run to just get another nice one, than trying to find a clean donor car to swap parts back and forth.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,368 Posts
And to think, I'm only 4,000 miles away from just arriving in the Mark VIII! :D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The moon is 238,900 miles away..................................... that's almost a round trip!
Wow, my truck is halfway back to the moon ~560k.

Excluding sentimental issues, the salvage yard is the best option. CL won't be worth the hassle IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts