TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, here is my dilema.... got a 1991 cougar with 300,000km (180,000miles) over $25K sunk into it, and now it has a blown head gasket, again! I have fixed almost everthing on the car. brakes trannyX2 motorX2.... I am debating what to do, I am thinking I should keep it as my weekend fun driver. I have another car so it is not my main transportation. So now the issue is... Do i throw more $$ at that motor : redo heads new gasket and just do the top end. (motor is basically stock 5.0L with couple of bolt ons). do a complete rebuild, back to stock, or basically stock, or do I swap the motor out for a carbed one , I want to put as little $$ into it as possible, and the more hp the better...of course:D How much more is involved with switching to carburated than just dealing with the motor swap. what else do I have to change to make it work?

thanks for any and all input

Scott Martin

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
well going to a carb. would be rather cheap, sort of.

Your going to need a carbed intake, a carb., a low pressure return style fuel pressure regulator, and probably some linkage from Lokar(cable company) to setup your kick down correctly for the AOD.

Its pretty much a straight forward shot.

I can get you some part numbers/or links to some parts that would work for you, if ya need.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
It sounds like your problem is in the motor, not the fuel delivery. If that's the case, why would you want to get rid of your fuel injection for no reason? That will definitely be more expensive than just keeping the intake you have on there, and a carbed car is a lot more finicky about changes in the weather. The car won't run as well if you go carbed, and you'll still have to deal with the blown head gaskets. I say get some aftermarket heads and a GT40 intake and spend a weekend redoing the top end of the motor.

Mike

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
MadMikeyL said:
and a carbed car is a lot more finicky about changes in the weather. The car won't run as well if you go carbed, Mike
you know, I've driven many carbed cars over the years, and anytime during the year(hot or cold), I've never had to adjust my carb's for weather changes.

Maybe its because I'm in Texas????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's my two-bits worth. I'm about as "old school" as you can get and have forced myself to learn the new technology out of necessity. I still would never go back to carbed on anything except a very high hp drag-only car, and even then probably would keep efi and turbo it. Your situation boils down to a couple of simple facts. You have 25K "invested" in your car and I assume you have done things to make it a nice car. Still no matter how nice it is, your car is only worth that to you, probably less than 1/5 that to anyone else. So---you need to decide what you would drive instead that would make you happy and the cost involved in making the change. Your car with the 5.0 is a nice platform and has a lot of potential for the future if you want to modify the motor.

This is just me because If I like a car I keep it as long as I can, barring unfortunate accidents etc. You shouldn't be blowing headgaskets as often as you are on a mostly stock motor, I think you have a block/head surface flatness problem, detonation, or a headbolt torque problem. You have a nice car that you've invested a lot of time and money into, so fix it right, drive it, and be proud of it. Good luck, John

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys...here is a little more info. i can get a fairly freshly built carb 302 for around $1500, its making probably around 350 at the crank, it is coming out of an old hot rod pick up. i can get $400 for my motor as it is right now. now im 1100 into new motor, if i rebuilt the top end (which i wont be doing myself) i am looking at about 1000 without getting new heads. now i have a half new 302 with 200 hp and a bottom end with nearly 200,000 miles on it. I was/am concerned about how much money i am going to have to spend on all the little things that go along with doing a swap to carburation. What electronically is affected by the swap and how much more $$$ am I looking at?

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
67 Posts
For the money you're talking about to fix your 300,000km motor, I would just swap in a remanned long block for about the price you're talking about to do what your motor needs. 2 grand is about 4 or 5 new car payments. I would never revert to carbed in your case, you will have just guaranteed that you will never sell that car for any reasonable price. Don't know about your side of the border, but in the states it's against federal emission laws everywhere. John

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Ok, first of all, you do realize that you can take a carbed 302 and put your fuel injected intake on it right? First thing I would find out is make sure the 302 you are getting is an HO. If it is, then everything will be a direct swap. If not, then you will probably want to change the cam in it to one with a 351W firing order like the 5.0HO has. That way you will keep all your injectors firing in the correct sequence. I would also suggest getting an aftermarket intake because that 350hp number will go WAY down if you are choking it off with a stock intake. You can get the professional products one on ebay for about $300. That and a set of bigger injectors and a tune and you can keep your fuel injection and get the newer motor with more power. That's what I would reccomend doing.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts