TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching in the general forums and the 4.6 forums but didnt find anything...can some one direct me to a specific thread or tell me what are common things to look for when looking at a 94-95 4.6 bird? This is ofcourse besides the typical mn12 problems generic to all engine platforms (suspension, etc). Thanks!

....already got 4 birds, but....yeah, im getting that crazy idea.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
mileage, oil color, idle quality, that sorta crap.

these 4.6Ls are very hard to kill.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Watch out for the dirty ones.They are an eye sore.

Pretty much a bullet proof engine when properly taking care of.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mileage, oil color, idle quality, that sorta crap.

these 4.6Ls are very hard to kill.
NIce fleet dude!

But in any case, i cant really check things on the car as it is quite far from me. However, what are some questions I should ask the owner of the vehicle?

The milage is around 100k miles.

Good to hear these are good motors for longevity.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If it is a 94/95, get it up to operating temp, idle in gear for a couple of minutes, then floor it and take off (normal sit at a stop light, light turns green, you go stuff) and watch for smoke out the tailpipes. The valve seals on the 94/95 are the only big things that are not easy to fix semi common issue.

If it is a 94/95 make sure it doesn't have an EGR code, the EGR passages clog up, it is cleanable but not exactly easy (but certainly very doable). Not only the setup of the intake but due to the valve seals.

If it is a 96/97 hope it has an intake with an aluminum coolant crossover. My 97 has blown up two of them (the composite coolant crossover intakes) before I replace it with one with an aluminum crossover.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
If it is a 94/95, get it up to operating temp, idle in gear for a couple of minutes, then floor it and take off (normal sit at a stop light, light turns green, you go stuff) and watch for smoke out the tailpipes. The valve seals on the 94/95 are the only big things that are not easy to fix semi common issue.

If it is a 94/95 make sure it doesn't have an EGR code, the EGR passages clog up, it is cleanable but not exactly easy (but certainly very doable). Not only the setup of the intake but due to the valve seals.

If it is a 96/97 hope it has an intake with an aluminum coolant crossover. My 97 has blown up two of them (the composite coolant crossover intakes) before I replace it with one with an aluminum crossover.
my brother just got a 96 4.6. where would i look for the plastic crossover?

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
my brother just got a 96 4.6. where would i look for the plastic crossover?

Look on the manifold right behind the alternator, it will go across the front to the T-Stat housing.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

you are the second person to mention the valve seals....i will see what I can find about this. It is a 94-95 car. Worst case scenario...the seals are a bit worn...a little smoke from the pipes, a little oil consumption......nothing extraordinarily bad correct?

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
you are the second person to mention the valve seals....i will see what I can find about this. It is a 94-95 car. Worst case scenario...the seals are a bit worn...a little smoke from the pipes, a little oil consumption......nothing extraordinarily bad correct?
Correct.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
A little smoke when taking off, higher oil consumption (however in my experience it is still well under a quart in 3k miles, which I consider excessive but Ford doesn't), EGR passages clogging more readily.

689,000 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car/Taxies in the city I live in puff smoke when leaving stop lights. I have seen a couple of MN12s doing it, but there are less of them here, throw in the fewer years with the 4.6, the high possibility is has a 3.8 in it, and I would expect to see less (if I see any) MN12 doing it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
add to that:)

i have a 95,and its a beauty,the only thing wrong with it<after i changed the tranny fluid out to mercon v because of the train "noise" and it has never done it since:) is the valve seal leak.....i was told by the guys on here dont worry about it just add oil...which btw, the 4.6 hardly uses any even with the valve seal leak! good motor,the 4.6:)
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts