TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate is thinking about getting a 5.0 Bird and just wanted to know what to look for.

What was the best year for the 5.0 in the birds?

How easy is it to build up?

Whats the diffrence between the Mustang and T-bird 5.0?

If you guys can think of anymore questions I should of asked fell free to fill me in.

Thanks for the help!:D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
All the 91-93 5.0's are pretty similar. The 93 has a different cam, but that is about it. They are very similar to the 94-95 Mustang engines, with different exhaust. You really have to watch it though when you go to buy parts because some are 94-95 style (intake), while some are fox body style (FPR).

That being said, I would look for a sport model. They have a stiffer suspension.

John

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Definitely check for the Sport model, but also look for a lower mileage car.

The engine is pretty easy to build up. Your friend can use a lot from the Mustang engine, but the only things I know of that he cannot use are headers and any exhaust system.

OOOhhh... He might want to get a 92+ model because the gas tank was moved allowing for easier exhaust modification. My 91 is a ***** to mess with underneath. :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Definatley get a 92 or 93 5.0. The 91s gas tank is a pain in the ***, and you'll want to get custom true dual exhaust.

·
Registered
232 Posts
get a 91 or 92

The 91 and 92 models had Forged internals where as the 93 did not. I have a 91 and even though the tank is a pain, I have a custom dual exhaust and it sounds sweet. If you want to run big mods get the 92 or even settle for a 91.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yep.. 91s rule. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don't forget that the 93 has the newer front suspension. The 92 is the way to go if you are not worried about having the older style front suspension. The older front end can handle a slightly wider tire without rubbing anyway. If your friend doesn't plan on building it up much than the 93 is fine. But, if he wants to spray or supercharge on the stock pistons, he should get the 92 'cause of the forged pistons.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Like most other guys said. I'd get the 93 I think it looks better, but you sacrifice the fordged internals, but you get the suspension. It all depends on whatr you plan on doing with the car. I'd go for a SC myself...........wait.......I did get the SC.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Probably the 92 sport gets you the most. Basically the only thing you don't get with that is the newer front spindles. Otherwise, you get the forged pistons, sport suspension, newer gas tank, etc. That's what I'd go with. Oh wait, that's what I did go with!!

John

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yes, 91's should have them

Ford used TRW forged pistons up until the end of the 92 model year in the 5.0's.

John

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The '91's did, most of the '92's I believe (but not all of them) and I don't think any of the '93's did.

Since I got a '91 I'm making it into the 'Bird I want it to be. I've got newer style spindles sitting out in my garage, as well as the newer gas tank, 94/95 front end/hood (going to a '97 hood though with '97 headlights), and I'm also upgrading to a 4R70W, so trying to get the best of all areas in my opinion. Oh ya and SuperCoupe interior. :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yea, I saw that Lonnie has a setup where he has (I think) 97 headlights. I'd like to know how that is done.

Thanks for the information on the pistons!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im his roomate.

Thanks for all your help I have decide on a 92 5.0 sport.

Now I just have to find one.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
blownmerc!!!

I happen to own a 91'302. I have a nitrous express system on my mind in the near future.

I guess in my opinion i have a little bit better setup with the forged pistons.

It pretty much is up to you on which one to get, meaning ur modding episode...

8astang .02 cents

·
Registered
366 Posts
if you are looking for something that you DONT want... look for oil on the bottom of the tranny.... if you see oil, it needs a rear main seal and thats a pain cus the tranny has to come out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts