TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I'm looking to buy a Thunderbird in the next 3-12 months. I'm a former owner who foolishly traded a 95 LX on a new Accord in 99, and am wanting to come home.

All I know for certain at this point is the T-Bird MUST be a 95, MUST be a LX V8 (don't like the SC GFX), and either be Clearcoat black, deep emerald green clearcoat metallic, white opalescent clearcoat, or chameleon blue clearcoat metallic. I guess I'd consider the Rose Mist Clearcoat metallic. Option wise, I'd prefer the 4 wheel discs, power moonroof, keyless entry. My old bird had the valence panel below the stereo that showed the low fuel level and a few other options. I guess I'd like traction control, too.

What should I look for in a T-Bird? How much should I prepare to spend? I've optioned a few out using KBB's price guides and find what I'm looking for goes in the 6-9k range, although I see many cars for sale on autotrader.com for ultra low prices....

Any problem areas on the 95's that I should look closely at when buying a T-Bird?

Thanks for any insight. I miss my old T-Bird, I often hear it's up for sale nearby, but have gone searching without any luck. The only real thing I had modified on it was the stereo and the wheels - I had 16 inch Enkei G-Zero's. Those wheels rocked!

Thanks for any help!

--john

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Good ta hear you wanna get another bird. Ya never should have strayed;)
You should be able to get a 95' for around $5000.
Just curious, but why does it have to be a 95'? Is it cuz that's what you used to have?

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
If i we're you, I'd look for a 96-97, they have a better looking front end, and a lot of the transmission parts we're updated after the 95. The 94-95 had the worst 4r70ws. If you insist on getting a 95, make sure you try the car in all the gears... Try to see if the car will shudder, it should do it between 35-45 MPH...Make sure that tranny works well... Run the VIN # and do a CarFax... check body parts for overspray to make sure she wasn't in a previous wreck... Other than that, the basics... milage, maintnence records, phsyical apperance, etc...

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
You also get a bit more power with the 96's... there are also more available mods you can do to theim, ie: PI Cams and it's easier/cheaper to do the PI head swap if you were to ever do it down the road.

:D

Like Jordan said, if you do insist on getting a 95 beware of bad a tranny and TC shudder. Also make sure it doesn't burn to much oil. Check for blueish smoke, etc...

;)

Another hint, if you do happen to go for a 96 look for the sport model.... that's what I want.

Oh and a 95 should run anywhere from 4000 to 6000. I probably wouldn't buy one for to much cheaper because there is probably going to be either something wrong with it or has a ton of miles. Unless of course you get a good deal from maybe someone you know or someone just really wants to get rid of it (private seller). But if it is on one of those corner car lots and cost 2500, there is probably going to be something wrong with it. I wouldn't get one for over 6000 unless of course it is already modded or has like less than 40k. But that's just my opinion.

:cool:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Maybe he wants a 95 because that was the last year before tons of new smog regulations kicked in.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wanted a 95 because I like the nose of the 94/95 best, and it was the year of my old 'bird

Put a deposit on a 95 SC auto with white opalescent clearcoat today, got a heck of a deal, take delivery on Saturday.... yay!

scratch that post where I said I don't like SC GFX.. they grew on me...

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Good choice on color! ...hehe

I just got my 'Bird with the same paint.

Have fun with the SC, it should be a blast!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts