TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have in a 1963 Thunderbird? Just curious, she always hits so hard when put in reverse. I don't know if this is common, seeing that these cars aren't common anymore, but can someone learn me on this experience.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
C4 or C6 maybe?

I know in my dad's old Dodge, you hear a metallic clunk when you put it in gear (Drive or Reverse). To my knowledge, it's done this since I was 13 years old, I always though it was normal. Not really your application, but it is an old tank that gets p**s poor gas mileage and is made out of enough steel to kill about anything else on the road today, so they have to share something :D

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Nativedetroiter said:
So, Should I worry about the hard engagement when I put it in reverse?

Check the mount and the tv lever adjustment. c6's have an adjustment similar to aod's but they are not so critical set it to where it feels best for you.
Alan

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
My 73 does the same thing(C6)....except, I don't have my kickdown rod in place.
I'm guessing thats why it does it.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
but, in my 95 bird, I run a C6 as well(without the kickdown rod), and it doesn't do that......maybe different years C6's do different things...

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that is really interesting.

She runs like a dream though, so I can't complain, just the clunck in reverse kinda scared me, not so much now hearing that from you. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nativedetroiter said:
Have in a 1963 Thunderbird? Just curious, she always hits so hard when put in reverse. I don't know if this is common, seeing that these cars aren't common anymore, but can someone learn me on this experience.
should be the 3 speed cruise-o-matic. as far as i know the c6 didn't debut until 1966.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
jotin1 said:
should be the 3 speed cruise-o-matic. as far as i know the c6 didn't debut until 1966.

I just checked that. Rockauto was showing the car as having a c6. It in fact does not. It has a cast iron ford-o-matic (fmx). 66 was the first year for aluminum fmx,and c6, looks like it was the first year for the c4 as well.
Alan

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Not really much to know, good trans but extremely heavy due to the cast iron case. Consider it an ancestor to the 4r70w.
Alan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts