TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I thought the obvious answer was mercon v. However, after reading the tech articles I see that Ford does not recommend this because you need updated seals for the synthetic fluid. So what fluid should I use?

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
That's an old tech article. Current recommendation from Ford is for Mercon V for any AOD/4R70W.

Besides, for a 1995, you have a 4R70W, which was ALWAYS recommended Mercon V after Mercon V came out.

The VERY FIRST SENTENCE in that tech note is:

Ford TSB 98-3-6 recommends complete drain & refill with Mercon V for all AODE/4R70W Transmissions.
RwP

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, but what about the seals? Because in that article it says that the seals will not do the correct job if it has the mercon v in it. Seals were updated.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You need the merconV the problem never really mattered to the seals but the frictions The late frictions absolutely required merconV or they shudder on apply but it has been proven many times the early transmissions work better on it as well.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
In the Transmissions 101 - Dos Dont's and FAQ's section, it has a topic - What transmission fluid should I use ?

"For all AODE's and 4R70W's, use Mercon V transmission fluid. Contrary to what you may have heard, you can use Mercon V in any AODE or 4R70W transmission. It will not cause any seal problems. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THIS TRANSMISSION. If you put this fluid in an older Taurus, you will eventually have seal problems. For AOD's, I also recommend Mercon V transmission fluid. Do not EVER use Type F fluid in a transmission that has an overdrive gear. The wear properties of Type F will cause premature gear set failure. But if you run a non overdrive transmission, this fluid (type F) has a very high static coefficient and would be the fluid to use in a high output application."

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I remember hearing that stuff back in the 90's ford has completely changed their position on it and considers merconV to be backwards compatible with everything excluding mercon sp (the very expensive stuff used in 5r110w). I think their research at the time was altered by the properties of the newer fluid having an effect to soften the seals, when that is the case the transmission was on it's last leg anyway. If you have a replacement transmission installed into a pre96 car at the dealer right now they will use mercon V in it.
Alan

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Yeah we have this war on the MKVIII Boards now & then when guys take Pix of their 93 MKVIII Manual reccommending Mercon 3 in thier first Gen 4R70w - Mercon 5 did'nt exist~!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Nope it sure didn't I don't think it came out til 96 or so. my 95 had dexIII markings on the stick as well but my 97 says merconv.
Alan

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
My 2002 Retro Bird calls for straight MERCON , NO numbers behind it in the weird ass Hydraulic Radiator Fan the 2002 has & the POS Power Steering setup they have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too got confused while reading through the many posts on transmission fluid and recently changed out my transmission fluid (and filter) with regular Mercron, the whole seal thing got me too. Has anyone ever tried AMSOIL ? I've been considering putting in a larger transmission cooler and have been looking at this product.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Amsoil is ok, if you don't mind paying a fortune for fluid that you can usually find synthetic nearby for considerably less, don't use royal purple.
Alan

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, i like amsoil, but it is crazy expensive. if it was me, mercV only in anything ford regardless of year. unless of course its one of those CVT things, or requires the SP, or its old enough for type F.

and that means Motorcraft MercV, not Valvoline. that stuff as far as i can tell is merc3 with mercV additive... says on the bottle 'recommended for mercV applications' not just merconV like it should, which turns me off...

haven't really had any experience with Royal purples stuff, though i have smelled it when we had a busted case at my work... smells like dirty gymsocks like it should :zdunno:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
My 2002 Retro Bird calls for straight MERCON , NO numbers behind it in the weird ass Hydraulic Radiator Fan the 2002 has & the POS Power Steering setup they have.
That's because that's just for the fan which doesn't have near the friction a transmission does. The Transmission is not user serviceable and doesn't have a cap to pour fluid into.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, Amsoil will certainly double the price of a fluid change (if not more), but these 4R70W's seem to have so many problems that it's hard not to consider going this way.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
The Transmission is not user serviceable and doesn't have a cap to pour fluid into.
Indeed you'll wish you had'nt tried once you get it drained but actually you can change Tranny Fluid in the 2002 Retro Bird if one is "persistent"... - You just need a big Pickle Jar & some Schraeder fittings to blast a couple Quarts or so in up thru the "standpipe" thingy...

Plus Jackstands to get it perfectly level... plus Thermomoter or a Thermometer "Gun" because it can't be too hot... Frankly I don;t believe that many Tranny Techs get the Fluid level right ~!

The per Manual procedure is a 100% TEE TOTAL PITA ~!

http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/membergallery/showphoto.php?photo=17373&title=tbfill1&cat=500

1 - 20 of 22 Posts