TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I use standard dexIII and a bottle of red lubeguard in those. I have heard of many different things being used from hydraulic oil to merconV. I can't say i have seen problems with any of it excluding the Type F which I do not suggest.
Alan

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I have a bunch of DexIII, Motorcraft brand, that you can have for real cheap. I got stuck with a dozen and a half quarts one time when I was changing the fluid on my wife's truck. It's taking up space in my garage.
Where do you live? You interested?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Grasshopper said:
I have a bunch of DexIII, Motorcraft brand, that you can have for real cheap. I got stuck with a dozen and a half quarts one time when I was changing the fluid on my wife's truck. It's taking up space in my garage.
Where do you live? You interested?
Hey man, I appreciate the offer. I live out in Harrah (Small crappy town kind of far away), and I have a bunch of store credit at Autozone anyways. Thanks anyways though. Thanks to the other replies too, Mercon Tre it is.

EDIT: And is there a subsitute for the redguard (Not available in my area), or do you absolutely recommend it?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
bad93bird said:
Where do I get Red Lubegaurd? Will Lucas hurt the tranny?
I and others use Lucas in our Towncars with no ill effects. Some use Lubeguard red.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That not hardly the same thing the red lubeguard will extend the fluid life and prevents the valves from sticking. I've heard good things about the lucas oil additive but for transmissions it is worthless to me.
Alan

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As Alan is the man on transmissions I would go with his advice.
I put the Lucas Transmission Fix in my TownCar with 4R70W at 120,000 miles as others with older TC have recommended to help extend life. It is supposed to reduce heat and foaming, prevents valves from sticking and extend fluid life. I had no symptoms so didn't notice any difference, figured it wouldn't hurt. The stuff is thick going in and I don't think I would put it in a new transmission.
I have run Mercon V with no additives in my Tbird since I got a new transmission.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
originally, your car was made withe mercon iii. now, i switched to mercon v in my 93 when i had it, but i made sure the tranny was completely drained of all the old stuff first...including the torque converter. i had no issues once switched to mercon v. little heads up though....ford is discontinuing mercon iii permanently(inside info), so eventually, you'll have to switch to mercon v anyways if you stick with motorcraft fluids.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Actually ford is going to suggest using standard mercon like in the 4r100's in vehicles that do not use merconV. Thats what I heard at least. Good thing dex III will be available aftermarket for another 20 years or so.
Alan

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
fyi

Grasshopper said:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yeah, we discontinued motocraft dexIII at advance, i got it for $1 a quart:znanner:

advance brand isnt really that good though, i changed mine out in march, and its already crappy. dex V is full synthetic, so i dont see how it could hurt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts