TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:DHey i was wondering about turbo i have done a little seaching and was swondering what turbo to use,some of the posts said they used a volvo/saab turbo,is that just any volvo/saab turbo

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
single or twin turbo setup? Is this for your 4.6? What kind of power are you wanting to put down? Traditional under hood setup or is this going to be remote mounted? Are you looking for lower range torque or high revving HP>? These are just some of the questions you need to think about.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i've got 200k on my motor,so low psi maybe 4-5,and i found a volvo turbo for $200,and just a little power,and remote turbo i guess,how much power do you think it would give me

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
what kind of turbo is it? I'm just guessing its some kind of garret T3. Look for all the stamped markings on the turbo. There should be a .AR number on the turbine housing (exhaust side) and compressor housing (cold side) That will tell you a little more and also If you know the exact motor it came off of? Most likey its going to be too small just on its own unless you find a twin.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Before you undertake something like this, there are some things you'll need to know how to do. Can you cut and weld exhaust tubing? Can you handle lubricating it? Can you handle the added fuel needs? How much thought have you put into all this before you jump in? It's not an easy task....believe me, I know. :D

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
oh well what did you man by added fuel needs?:D
forcing more air down the gullet leans the mixture, you have to offset it by allowing more fuel in... ie, bigger pump and injectors

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you have a 200K mile motor in the car....you don't really want to be messing with a turbo. It's not worth all the effort for a lousy 4 or 5 pounds of boost.

David

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think it would be the coolest way to get,maybe 50-60 hp,an i though i saw on a thread that iron is better for forced induction,im not completely sure but i could do a pi head swap and have a decent engine .............i could have just said all those things that were wrong so,please correct me,but i like the idea of a turbo,even if just 4-5 psi,....oh and thanks for your input,any more will help:)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Suggest going to turbomustangs.com and read up on what is involved to make the turbo system work. They have a good do it yourself forum that will also be helpful.

David

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
You might want to go out and do some general turbo research, learn about compressor and turbine sizing etc, before you go shopping for turbos. That's how I'd approach it anyway.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so what i read is that a to big of a turbo will take a long time to spool up(turbo lag),and to small of a turbo will no put enough psi.....is that right

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
in a general sense of the whole thing. yes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts