TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for some hood pins. Any suggestions? I see Mr. Gasket sells several types. Has anyone tried the locking hood pins. Here is an example: www.jegs/hoodpins.

I was wondering if they really worked or not.....it is only like a $10 difference. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Locking are better, IMO. Brother has them on his hood. Too bad he got them later. They're smaller, so they look better. And they lock, so people won't be able to mess with them like ones with pins that slide out.

This:

Compared to this:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I've also seen rusting on common hood pins, so you might want to take preventative measures against that. But that car was a POS anyway.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The better sets have aluminum scuff plates, and you can get aluminum pin sets also. The clip that goes through are plated steel in most. I rub some wax on them and the lhead lights every 2 monts, and they look like new.

If you go with the ones with the locks, make sure your normal latch still works, because the lock type will not hold by them self at speed.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Also, the locking type will break. I had a set of the locking type, and one of the teeth on the lock broke. Therefore, enabling the lock to "lock". One side of my hood was vibrating like crazy. Luckily my factory hood latch still worked!!!!

-Kornhaus

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've always liked the old style "Push/turn" type that Ford put on the 71-73 Mach 1's. Has anyone had any experience with those or tried to fit some on a Thunderbird?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Traveler said:
I've always liked the old style "Push/turn" type that Ford put on the 71-73 Mach 1's. Has anyone had any experience with those or tried to fit some on a Thunderbird?
I have seen those and I think they would be way to big and look like crap. IIRC they were slightly molded in to the hood. I actually seen some on ebay a few days ago, they were going for like $60.

93pimpin: where did he find those locking hood pins, I like them because they are less obvious (sp?).

I guess breaking a locking one would be a b!tch.....but I will use the stock latch.

What would be considered a good brand?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
They're my brother's, so I don't know where he got them.

Saw that turning style on a Cutlass I worked on. Cowl hood with the turn locks countersunk. He said the hood was probably worth more than the car, considering the car isn't in the best shape.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ive got the mr. gasket locking style and really like em. theyve been on about 6 monthes now and no rust and they still lock and unlock smoothly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts