TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What will I need?

OK. I am doing a manual swap. Theres nothing wrong with the 4r70 i am just bored when driving now. So, I am doing the swap. I found some parts, like the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder and the lines. I have a 94-95 manual center console. I plan to use a t45 and I want to use a hydraulic set up. What else am I missing? Also, what is need electronically? Can I flash the stock computer? What new harnesses do I need? I tried searching but I haven't found direct answers to my questions. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
42 Posts
Still Swapping to a Manual?

No, never found that. Thank you very much.
Do I need the extension box if I plan to use an SC manual center?
The issue is the length of the T5 transmission. A stock T5 (such as out of a Mustang) is not long enough for the shifter to be positioned where it is on an SC Coupe so the center console is great, but the shifter will need to come up thru the tunnel much closer, and too close to the dash.

Since those tech articles were written, there is an aftermarket shifter re-locator that can help, but will probably still be an issue for your console and trans tunnel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue is the length of the T5 transmission. A stock T5 (such as out of a Mustang) is not long enough for the shifter to be positioned where it is on an SC Coupe so the center console is great, but the shifter will need to come up thru the tunnel much closer, and too close to the dash.

Since those tech articles were written, there is an aftermarket shifter re-locator that can help, but will probably still be an issue for your console and trans tunnel.
Ok, so its not really a console issue its a trans length issue? Does that shifter re-locator move it back far enough to clear the dash?

And yes, Im still planning the swap, but as with any first plan, it changes. I am having a teksid 4v built for so I plan to swap the trans when I swap the engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
The shifter will need to be relocated approximately 6 inches to the rear, however don't do it the way the tech articles say. That will result in perpetual transmission fluid leaking. Instead, use an aftermarket short throw shifter in the trans (I recommend the Steeda Tri-ax) and use the stock shifter as the dummy rear shifter. Use some angle iron to extend back from the where the stock shifter is, and make make a linkage so that any movement of the rear shifter is mimicked on the front shifter. I recommend finalizing this with the trans in the car and whichever console you will be using on hand, so you can position the rear shifter exactly right.

Also, for the hydraulic setup, get a slave cylinder for a 94/95 Chevy S10 4-cylinder, and make a bracket to bolt it to the side of the T45 and push on the stock Mustang clutch fork, and that will work with the stock SC master cylinder.

As far as the tuning and wiring, you will need a tune to turn off all the auto trans functions, and for the wiring, just modify what you have. You will need to splice together 2 wires for the MLPS sensor to complete the starting circuit, and run the wires for the speed sensor, and backup lights. The rest of that wiring can just be tied up out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
For reference, this is how I did mine. I probably went overkill on the beefiness of the linkage(.25" steel) but I used bronze flanged bushings and wanted a good amount of surface area for them to contact.

Hardest part with this method is sealing the substantial hole. I used a modified SC 5 speed boot plate in place of the auto shifter assembly and a 79-04 Mustang boot above the new hole, grafted together with RTV to keep it sealed. But I also used a 5-speed console with this to line up with the boot plate, if using the auto console top the shifter comes through about 3" further back than mine, making this more complicated.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Great pictures, thanks!

So that supercoupe pan, is that a part that I can find used, is it remanufactured by anyone, or do I need to fab something up out of some sheet metal?

Nevermind, found them on tbscshop.com.

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
And like I said, with that pan you need the factory 5 speed console and top as well, the hole in that will not line up with the auto shifter console hole. Not saying don't get one, since you could still use it and cut the opening to be further back but you could also probably mod the auto base to do the same.

The Mustang boots can be bought new BTW

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
And like I said, with that pan you need the factory 5 speed console and top as well, the hole in that will not line up with the auto shifter console hole. Not saying don't get one, since you could still use it and cut the opening to be further back but you could also probably mod the auto base to do the same.

The Mustang boots can be bought new BTW
Gotcha. I don't really want to lose my cupholders, lol. :) I'll have to take the center console out and see what I have to work with there.

Since I have my engine out anyway, I may just have to install the SC Clutch and Brake pedals I have since the firewall is easily accessed. Make people go WTF when they get in the car. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts