TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a garaged daily driver 1995 4.6 LX with 92,000 miles. The body of the car is rust free but these rear brackets look like they have taken a beating over the past 20 years, really rusty with good size chunks of rust peeling off when subject to screw driver and wire brush probe. OEM replacements are cheap and easily found on the web. Only three bolts seem to be holding them in place. Is this somthing I can replace in my home garage on my back with floor jacks or does it need a lift and beefy tools? I'd hate to unbolt a few things and hear something pop out of alignment that requires a special tool worth $10k that is no longer available or better handled on a lift. I also noticed the shop manual states the bolts are epoxied in place and should be replaced with fresh bolts. Not sure where to find bolts to begin with. Suggestions appreciated. June 16th is the 20th year anniversary of driving her home from the dealership.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
It really is as easy as pulling those three bolts on each...provided you're able to remove the bolts without snapping them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really is as easy as pulling those three bolts on each...provided you're able to remove the bolts without snapping them.
Thanks,
I see the factory bolts are made of unobtainium.
Do you think these bolts are a good substitute? :rolleyes:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/38700?pageno=4&r=~|categoryl1:%22600000%20Fasteners%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22600001%20Bolts%22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22600003%20Cap%20Screws%209and%20Hex%20Bolts%22|~%20~|sattr01:^Metric$|~%20~|sattr04:^M12-1.75$|~%20~|sattr06:^%22Class%208.8%22$|~

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Rear Sub-Frame Stabilizer Bracket Bolts

It looks like all the bolts that hold the rear sub-frame stabilizer brackets have been discontinued by Ford.. :(

I'm going to post a diagram for anyone who needs this information in the future:

The size of the large bolt is: M12x1.75x129.5
The size of the 2 smaller bolts is: M10x1.5x39.84

The torque specs are listed as well.. ;)

Rayo..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of Course all the bolts are discontinued.
Bolts also have a shear strength.
Its hard to go wrong using Grade 8's for most suspension parts.

By the way........................those brackets.

Tee heee

I bought a pair of those brackets !!!!!!!!!

I'm going to reinforce with little tubes before I change them.
Add welds and maybe that rail connector.
SOMEONE HAS DONE THIS !
I'VE SEEN THE ARTICLE AND THEY HAVE GREAT PICS.

By the way..............I may have gotten the last pair of them unless N.O.S. becomes available or released.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd get them if they look beat up.

I can't believe how much weight and stress they put on these brackets.

Its scary I tell ya

scary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts