TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car needs a rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets... how much on average is it to replace these?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit over $100 if you do it yourself. Shop labor rate will basically be the same for a full engine replacement.
run me in exactly what i woud need to do. the oil pan is a tight fit, and the tranny has mufflers under it and fluid in it...

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
Pull the motor out and do it all out of the car. If you were just doing the pan gasket you could secure the motor and lower the K member to access it, and if you were just toing the main seal the trans would have to come out.

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time on that for a 94; I'd go for a pi engine swap.

You're pulling an engine either way.

The only difference is the 96 tbird parts you have to source; which are the same as doing a pi swap.

And you have to swap all the external stuff on the engine. :)

An explorer swap is a bit easier in a 94-95; you can reuse the front cover.

If you don't swap the engine while it's out, I'd at least do the valve stem seals while it's out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, worst 4.6 ever. you'll only succeed in keeping the oil inside the motor so it can burn more easily out the valve seals.

at the least find a NPI 4.6 from a low millage 97ish and reseal that. no tune required to run, and they say the oil consumption was less on those years. they also got a few other better pieces, valve springs were better and you can get performance cams.

still have to pull the motor anyway, and finding the top end parts for the 96+ intake swap is pretty simple; especially if most of it comes on top of the motor assembly you get your hands on. and TRUST ME you'll love it once its done, throttle response is like night and day compared to that old alum boat anchor. especially if you go one step further and get yourself a PI intake manifold.

plus when the EGR valve fails like they always do on fords, you can swap it in 5 min with basic hand tools instead of having to take 4 hours to pull the intake manifold and drop the exhaust to change it.

may have to go without cruise control though till you can find the fuel rail from a crown vic. put that on backwards to make room for the cable to connect to the throttle body. or you can do what i did and snap off the red safety cap on the cable, but i had issues with my throttle being stuck open when i did that :D

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Parts and Labor (As if I was doing it at the shop) would be $1015.31 at a labor rate of $90.00 per a flat rate hour.

Time for the rear oil seal was cut in half because pulling the trans for the rear seal makes it easier to get the oil pan out for the pan gasket.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
car has 118k miles. burns NO OIL. it runs like a bat out of hell as is. only issue is the leaks. found a local LICENCED shop to do it, they say $500 for what i need done.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
How bad are the leaks?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
probably 1-1/2 quart a month onto my garagre floor.
Really. If it is leaking that much sitting still, I would suspect a leak from something else. Mind you I am sure you have checked it and have seen where it is coming from, but that is on the high side for an idle engine.
The spots you mentioned will leak more with a running engine.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Talk to supergordo he is in your area and can do it. I'm sure it'll be way cheaper than that.
Alan
The OP sought me out due to me being local and working in a garage I suggested supergordo when the OP sought me out about a month ago. I'm still out of my garage doing emissions repair training/teaching with/for managers in other locations in the company so I still can't do it but I'm sure supergordo can. It sounds to me like he wants it done in a Licensed garage which mine is, I don't know if supergordo is.... but it shouldn't matter he's good at what he does. Heck supergordo did my rear main seal when he built my trans while I was sick, before I was running the garage I do now.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i'm surprised a 94 cougar wouldn't consume oil, not to mention run like a bat out of hell, but i guess I've been driving mine with slight mods for too long. every time i get in an unmodified 95 and down 4.6 car i cringe at the power and responsiveness. course its usually crown vics.

not many old tbirds left around here :( save for the ones in the U-Pull-It. nice blue 40th in their last time, no damage, little rust, just tired and unloved. had little batman stickers where the emblems were supposed to be :p

have you checked the filter adapter gasket? they are usually what dumps that much oil, real easy to change with a 10mm some extensions and a swivel. just drain the coolant first unless you want a bath. :D if not and the motors out, do it anyway just for cheep insurance.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
have you checked the filter adapter gasket? they are usually what dumps that much oil, real easy to change with a 10mm some extensions and a swivel. just drain the coolant first unless you want a bath. :D
My thoughts exactly.

Or pan drain plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts