TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i have a 91 cougar with a 5.0L aod and locking 3.08 gears, im looking at buying a 93 supercoupe, now all i really want the supercoupe for is the 5 speed transmission, but would it be easier and more cost effictient to throw the 5 speed into the cougar or to throw the 5.0 in the thunderbird?

·
5,650 Posts
I think transfering the transmission to the Cougar would be easier. Taking that route means you have to add the clutch pedal, master/slave, and line, then get a tune. You'll have to do some minor adaptation to the trans wiring to get the backup lights working and I believe you'll have to swap the driveshaft, but that's likely it. Doing the other route means you have to source the 93 5.0L motor mounts, then put the motor in, then deal with the wiring headache from the engine swap.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think transfering the transmission to the Cougar would be easier. Taking that route means you have to add the clutch pedal, master/slave, and line, then get a tune. You'll have to do some minor adaptation to the trans wiring to get the backup lights working and I believe you'll have to swap the driveshaft, but that's likely it. Doing the other route means you have to source the 93 5.0L motor mounts, then put the motor in, then deal with the wiring headache from the engine swap.
just wondering why i would have to get a tune as the aod has nothing to offer the computer?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I agree - swapping the trans would be easier since there is little wiring involved.

just wondering why i would have to get a tune as the aod has nothing to offer the computer?
You shouldn't have to since neither trans is computer controlled.

-Melon

·
5,650 Posts
True, but the computer controls the idle differently based on the transmission. Slowing down in gear is a lot different than slowing down in neutral (load on engine), and automatic transmissions don't neutralize during every shift, or at least they're not supposed to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i kinda see your point master, thanks. what will i all need to do the transmission swap or is it all pretty much bolt in, is the driveshaft a different length if i put the trans behind a 5.0?

·
5,650 Posts
You should be able to the driveshaft from the 5-speed. The transmission crossmember might be different so make a note of that and grab it if you need it.

Another note about the tune. You don't have to get one for it to run properly, but you will notice a slight flaring of the engine speed when coasting to a stop and shifting. Many people just deal with it to avoid the cost of a tune.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts