TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all had these visions of what we wanted our car's to be, whether it's an all out racer, sleeper, street cruiser or show stopper. We all come across obstacles or circumstances that prevent us from achieving our goal, but if you had the chance what would you do to your Thunderbird, Cougar or Mark?

For me newly acquired 91 Mercury cougar xr7, I'd be well with a 347 and a whipple with a fully built AOD and nice 3.73 gears, and a 96-97 model year spoiler on the trunk.

For my 97 Thunderbird I'd love a full Coyote swap with a good tune, headers and 3.73 gears, a nice cowl hood, side bolstered seats, xenon ground effects that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
The T-bird is pretty close to how I want it. The interior and exterior is done but eventually I'd like to see an aluminum block with internals good to 7500, a better intake (one that will fit under the stock hood) and of course, headers. Aside from perhaps the headers and intake, the bottom end build I don't see happening in the near future.

The Mark 8 is stock and I'm content to leave it that way. It's my miles car... shooting for 300,000 or better with that one.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My 97 I would love a built bottom on a teskid block. Handle 7500rpms but realistically only push it to about 7. Maybe change the heads out for some nice trick flow pi heads. Some good blower cams. New rear gears. Paint. New cowl hood, redo the interior in black/tan leather. 13in cobra brakes. Some black saleen speed stars 18in. Possibly a xenon body kit. I'm not asking much lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
Street cruiser, I don't think sleeper is in the cards anymore with 300+ horsepower 4 banger Mustangs:tongue:

All in all pretty much where I'll have it once the Mach motor, and all the various other parts I've already got but haven't installed are in, plus new wheels, bilstein shock inserts, new headlights, and I'd really like to repaint it. Nothing is stopping me from the bolt on swap stuff besides finding and making supporting odds and ends atm but a full repaint scares me, on one hand it would rejuvenate the car in MY eyes(since I'm more aware of the imperfections than anyone looking), but that's such a $$$$ commitment, one which I have no $$$$ for, let alone $$$ or $$ lol, and one of those jobs I cannot do by myself in my garage, which I've literally done with everything else with it, which I pride myself with, so I have a hard time justifying it, especially owning the car as long as I have and subsequently being rather bored of it at times frankly. I've genuinely been an all out car guy since early childhood, I didn't get "the bug" when I got my drivers license like most, so owning just that one car, where I focus all that attention too really goes against my grain, and when I think of $$$$ commitment fantasies regarding the Cougar my mind begins to wander... "you know, Matt, you could probably find a ______ rolling chassis and restomod it with the parts you have".

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
For me newly acquired 91 Mercury cougar xr7, I'd be well with a 347 and a whipple with a fully built AOD and nice 3.73 gears, and a 96-97 model year spoiler on the trunk.
If you're going to dream, get that AOD out of there and put in a 4RW70 that has a real first gear.:wink2:

Mine would be a build that has the most low end torque possible and sound like a stocker.

Al

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Possible TR-6060 upgrade, finish off restoring the interior, finish led swap over the whole car, get a cobra r hood, and PAINT!. And my blown engine, not the broken kind either lol.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I'm going to run mid/high 9's in the quarter and still drive it 100+ miles on the weekends. I'll do it with a coyote and a cog driven Procharger probably blowing about 14 pounds.
AJE K member.
SCP front QA1 coilovers.
Beefy 4R70W but still retain an automatic valve body so I don't need to shift when racing. This is because I will be mainly bracket/index racing and want the car to be as consistent as possible.
Corbeau front seats, otherwise clean stock interior.
Aeromotive fuel cell in the trunk.
The outside will be clean and stock except for the cobra hood. I am even hoping to retain the factory fanblade wheels and just have them widened for the rear.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Ford Boss block big bore stroker short block with forged internals straight from the FRPP catalog. Top it with TFS 44cc heads for 11.5:1 compression, some hot cams, TFS intake, headers (maybe some of GM's long fabled 4v long tubes) backed up by a T-56 Magnum since it supports a speedometer gear, so I won't need a speedcal so much.

Some more chassis bracing, Tokiko blues all around, maybe those QA-1's from SCP.

Overall, I'm very happy with how my car handles, I just want a little more go.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Ford Boss block big bore stroker short block with forged internals straight from the FRPP catalog. Top it with TFS 44cc heads for 11.5:1 compression, some hot cams, TFS intake, headers (maybe some of GM's long fabled 4v long tubes) backed up by a T-56 Magnum since it supports a speedometer gear, so I won't need a speedcal so much.

Some more chassis bracing, Tokiko blues all around, maybe those QA-1's from SCP.

Overall, I'm very happy with how my car handles, I just want a little more go.
Go with the 6060, the Speedcal is way more reliable than the cheapo plastic gears made to work with the T56. They have too many teeth that easily deflect and shear off. The Speedcal is an excellent tool, and I find the magnetic reluctor wheel of the newer trans to be pretty well done, I've had no problems ripping up to speed past law enforcement. >:)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
97 Cougar, 5.3 big bore DOHC twin turbo built/tuned for E85, built 4r75w, 20 inch Cobra Rs, 14+ inch brakes, probably need a roll cage unless I only wanted to run once at the track. It wouldn't be a dedicated drag, track, whatever car, so it would need to handle high summer temps.

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
I have 3 separate ones. Hopefully one day, I will have all 3 completed, but for now, I'm just working on getting my Cougar there. The Cougar will be the weekend fun car, and will have the 427" Windsor motor, M5R2 trans, 3.08TL rear, SCUI suspension bushings, fresh paint, full interior with black cloth SC seats, Koni shocks and cut SC springs, 17x9s with 13" brakes, no AC, and a pretty basic stereo to keep the weight down. Build #2 would be the SC. The ultimate goal with that car would be a sleeper that could be daily driven, but surprise some newer muscle cars, and look stock to anyone not familiar with SC's, so ideally that car would get a built 4.2, ported big valve heads, and an MPX, plus everything it already has. One other thing I've always thought about, but would likely never spend the money on it, is I like the early style SC wheels much better than the later ones, but I don't like that they aren't directional, so if I could have a pair of mirror image early SC wheels cast, I would run those. Build #3 would be the MarkVIII, and if money were no object, that car would get a coyote with a whipple, TR-6060 trans, 18x9s with 14" brakes, nice sound system, mystichrome paint, and interior re-done to like new stock. The goal with that car would be to just be way too nice and too fast to really drive it, but drive it like I stole it anyway.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have 3 separate ones. Hopefully one day, I will have all 3 completed, but for now, I'm just working on getting my Cougar there. The Cougar will be the weekend fun car, and will have the 427" Windsor motor, M5R2 trans, 3.08TL rear, SCUI suspension bushings, fresh paint, full interior with black cloth SC seats, Koni shocks and cut SC springs, 17x9s with 13" brakes, no AC, and a pretty basic stereo to keep the weight down. Build #2 would be the SC. The ultimate goal with that car would be a sleeper that could be daily driven, but surprise some newer muscle cars, and look stock to anyone not familiar with SC's, so ideally that car would get a built 4.2, ported big valve heads, and an MPX, plus everything it already has. One other thing I've always thought about, but would likely never spend the money on it, is I like the early style SC wheels much better than the later ones, but I don't like that they aren't directional, so if I could have a pair of mirror image early SC wheels cast, I would run those. Build #3 would be the MarkVIII, and if money were no object, that car would get a coyote with a whipple, TR-6060 trans, 18x9s with 14" brakes, nice sound system, mystichrome paint, and interior re-done to like new stock. The goal with that car would be to just be way too nice and too fast to really drive it, but drive it like I stole it anyway.
Option #3 would be the stuff of dreams.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I would like to see at least one or two of my SC's in a junkyard crusher, crushed into a tiny little cube.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My ultimate dream build would eventually have to consist of multiple vehicles but the vision for my current green 95 Cougar with a fiberglass top consists of adding power and reducing weight with an Explorer block that eventually would be supercharged to make up for the extra weight of the stereo and sound deadening material. It would be a daily driver or possible sound competition winning vehicle but it would probably never be a track car because if I want an MN-12 track car I'd have to have a SWB (short wide body) version created out of a another Cougar because so far I've only seen the few t-birds that have had that treatment. Then mustangs would't have the weight advantage anymore.

The focus on my current car is more on its appearance. With almost 100 pounds of sound deadening material already installed after you add potentially another 100 pounds for the sound system and further sound proofing there's little reason for this car to be any faster than the normal cars you find on the street. Cars like stock Mustangs and most factory cars that are typically owned by people who think they naturally have a fast car because of its name or styling. I'm more worried about preventing the douche in the Jaguar or beemer from passing me and cutting me off just to take a left turn. I'm not worried about setting the record for the best 1/4 mile times considering that these vehicles already suffer in the weight department.

Ultimately for my car I want it to have a body kit but with the rear modified to accommodate the hitch I already have and the front swapped with the Razzi kit if only because it puts the fog lights further out towards the corners. A reason why I toy with the idea of swapping the entire front end with a T-bird and then the car would really live up to the name Thundercat. Why I decide against that idea is because I want GM headlights with 2 pairs of HID projectors and perhaps an LED strip or 2. Before I get a Mach 1 style fiberglass hood I'll play with adding color to the lines of the stock hood that may sync with the color pattern I'll be doing to the rear. I'm adding black and red and potentially any other colors that may invoke the theme used in the Thundercats cartoon or go with whatever color of under body lighting I finally settle on that won't result in a ticket.

Since I enjoy driving this car on the highway there's an emphasis on creature comforts and features only found in either luxury vehicles or newer vehicles. While I can always install a touchscreen along with backup cameras and WiFi I'll just have to deal with not having heated seats or steering wheel. Why buy a new vehicle when you can add just about every feature to an older car? Here soon my interior lighting will be replaced with a mixture of LED's including white face gauges to go with color changing LED strips. Even though the color of the interior will eventually become mostly black my only concern is whether I'll reupholster the top with black leather or stick with the original green that matches the color of the car.

·
Registered
482 Posts
400 HP, 500 lb torque, 50 mpg, no wear, fresh paint, paid for.... I guess it's time to wake up now.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
My ultimate dream build would eventually have to consist of multiple vehicles but the vision for my current green 95 Cougar with a fiberglass top consists of adding power and reducing weight with an Explorer block that eventually would be supercharged to make up for the extra weight of the stereo and sound deadening material. It would be a daily driver or possible sound competition winning vehicle but it would probably never be a track car because if I want an MN-12 track car I'd have to have a SWB (short wide body) version created out of a another Cougar because so far I've only seen the few t-birds that have had that treatment. Then mustangs would't have the weight advantage anymore.

The focus on my current car is more on its appearance. With almost 100 pounds of sound deadening material already installed after you add potentially another 100 pounds for the sound system and further sound proofing there's little reason for this car to be any faster than the normal cars you find on the street. Cars like stock Mustangs and most factory cars that are typically owned by people who think they naturally have a fast car because of its name or styling. I'm more worried about preventing the douche in the Jaguar or beemer from passing me and cutting me off just to take a left turn. I'm not worried about setting the record for the best 1/4 mile times considering that these vehicles already suffer in the weight department.

Ultimately for my car I want it to have a body kit but with the rear modified to accommodate the hitch I already have and the front swapped with the Razzi kit if only because it puts the fog lights further out towards the corners. A reason why I toy with the idea of swapping the entire front end with a T-bird and then the car would really live up to the name Thundercat. Why I decide against that idea is because I want GM headlights with 2 pairs of HID projectors and perhaps an LED strip or 2. Before I get a Mach 1 style fiberglass hood I'll play with adding color to the lines of the stock hood that may sync with the color pattern I'll be doing to the rear. I'm adding black and red and potentially any other colors that may invoke the theme used in the Thundercats cartoon or go with whatever color of under body lighting I finally settle on that won't result in a ticket.

Since I enjoy driving this car on the highway there's an emphasis on creature comforts and features only found in either luxury vehicles or newer vehicles. While I can always install a touchscreen along with backup cameras and WiFi I'll just have to deal with not having heated seats or steering wheel. Why buy a new vehicle when you can add just about every feature to an older car? Here soon my interior lighting will be replaced with a mixture of LED's including white face gauges to go with color changing LED strips. Even though the color of the interior will eventually become mostly black my only concern is whether I'll reupholster the top with black leather or stick with the original green that matches the color of the car.
Actually SWB simply stood for short wheelbase. The weight is actually negligible too since there's so much bracing and reinforcement necessary. Plus a SWB Cougar will end up looking like an olds cutlass calais lol

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Actually SWB simply stood for short wheelbase. The weight is actually negligible too since there's so much bracing and reinforcement necessary. Plus a SWB Cougar will end up looking like an olds cutlass calais lol
I have yet to see any of the additional bracing or reinforcement added to any of the Karkraft SWB vehicles. I have ideas that would eliminate the need for all of the excessive weight added to remove the section. One of these days ..

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
I have yet to see any of the additional bracing or reinforcement added to any of the Karkraft SWB vehicles. I have ideas that would eliminate the need for all of the excessive weight added to remove the section. One of these days ..
I only base that on the weight and some anecdotal claims, I vividly recall someone who owned one(Dave Dalke?) mentioning it weighing more than a stock SC on one of the forums.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
My IDEAL setup would go something like this.....

Suspension: Rebuild the suspension with ACDelco / Raybestos parts, Derlin bushings where possible, poly bushings where derlin isn't available, Vogtland 1.6in drop springs, Tokico struts, MK8 rear LCAs, ADDCO sway bars, insert anything i'm missing here

Drivetrain: Coyote engine w/blower, 6spd MT, custom 3.5in aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 gears, beefed up half shafts

Brakes / wheels: Wilwood calipers, braided brake lines, stoptec slotted rotors, something not off a Cobra wheels (I really like Woodman's style wheels) wrapped with Nitto NT555 or Nitto Invo tires probably something along the lines of 245/50/18 front and 275/45/18 rear (or whatever is close to OEM outside diameter with wheels that large)

Interior: re-do all the upholstery in new leather and have the front seats stitched / embroidered with the Thunderbird. The seats will be reupholstered with tan leather but the inside will be black and all the stiching will be black as well. I'd also replace the carpet, headliner, and door inserts. The door inserts will be replaced with black leather instead of the cloth, and the carpet part of the door panel will be black as well. I'd replace the seatbelts with black seat belts as well. Lastly, I'd tint the windows with 5% in the rears and 25% up front. BlueTooth capable Stereo, new speakers everywhere, an appropriate amp to power everything.

Exterior: Xenon body kit, new pearl paint, HIDs, black housed headlights, engine clearance appropriate hood, and custom aluminum trunk lid and doors (weight loss mod ;) )

Now.....if only I could win the lotto to make all that happen.

REALISTICALLY, my setup will end up looking something like this

Suspension: Same as above except no derlin bushings

Drivetrain: MK8 block with 2V PI top end, CA legal headers (possibly just port the OEM ones), Mandrel bent exhaust, 3200 stall, JMOD, tailshaft lube mod, '93 MK8 driveshaft, 3.73 gears, and of course a tune

Brakes / Wheels: PBR calipers, braided brake lines, Power Stop disc (slotted) and pads, something not off a Cobra wheels...again, I like Woodman's style wheels, wrapped in with some sort of V speed rated tire

Interior: Replace the headliner, carpet, and door inserts

Exterior: New headlights, new pearl paint, possibly xenon body kit

1 - 20 of 29 Posts