TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 bird (all stock) and it shifts fine except that 2nd gear always revs higher than it should. It's like it's a delayed shift. Any ideas?

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I know it's not low fluid level. Let me look into what the 2 - 3 accumulator is. Thanks
Go read the Tech articles on transmissions. The 2-3 accumulator is under the valve body. They can get stuck in their bore and cause a delayed shift.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, it looks like I'll go buy a new 2-3 accumulator and make sure to clean it's bore real good. I'm thinking I'll need several quarts of fluid, a new filter and a pan gasket.

Is there anything else I'll need, like a valve body gasket? EDIT: NEW SEPARATOR PLATE GASKETS (2 required)

Should I do anything else to it while I have the valve body out? Keep in mind this is a stock car and daily driver.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
edit... The 2-3 accumulator is under the valve body; you would need a gasket for valve body as it would be brittle and break most likely. Replace the transmission pan gasket if it is a non-reusable one like cork and get a rubber/steel version which is reusable. Maybe buy some mercon 5 to top it off instead of mercon 3. Do obvious like clean the pan and magnet. I think you will need around 11-12 qts. Do the j-mod if you are removing it all anyway it's not much more work besides making a few holes.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Okay, it looks like I'll go buy a new 2-3 accumulator and make sure to clean it's bore real good. I'm thinking I'll need several quarts of fluid, a new filter and a pan gasket. Is there anything else I'll need, like a valve body gasket? EDIT: NEW SEPARATOR PLATE GASKETS (2 required) Should I do anything else to it while I have the valve body out? Keep in mind this is a stock car and daily driver.
You'd be crazy not to do the JMOD at the lowest levels while you are in there - & there's dude aftermarket 2-3 Piston that D/Dog carries.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now that I know how these trans work, I'm pretty sure my 2-3 piston is sticking in it's bore or the seals on the piston are leaking slightly causing it to move too slowly.

I'm making a list of parts right now to swap both 1-2 and 2-3 pistons, do J-mod or a baumann shift kit and add a temp gauge to the pan.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track, I agree 100% on going with the Mercon V fluid, its a bit more expensive, but darn well worth it, IMO.
I'd also like to recomend that you drain the converter and let it drain until it stops dripping, that way you will know you've drained all you can from the trans, and that should be satisfactory.
Please keep us posted on your progress!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts