TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping a 1997 Mark8 DOHC motor into my 1997 Cougar. I would like to know what would adding a Cobra intake do for the motor?

I'm looking at spending $300.00 on an intake but would like to know I'm going to get something for my money.

It looks like the intake I want is missing it's IMRCs can them off the 97 Mark?

Lastly has any one done a IMRC delete?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the cobra intake is a tad less restrictive than the mark8 one, but you wont gain all that much unless you go with cobra intake cams and perhaps retard them a bit...and even then, all the gains will be up top, above 5000 RPMs....and since you had mentioned that this will not be a race car, i would advise you against going with such a modification

i would also advise you against doing an IMRC delete....you will lose precious aircharge velocity at low RPMs which helps fill the cylinder and promote swirl....this high aircharge velocity is crucial for better torque production at low RPMs, and we all know how the early 4V motors aren't exactly torque monsters with those two huge intake ports.....my verdict for your application: dont do it

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info about the intake.

As for the IMRC's Should they open by hand? kind of like pushing the T.B. open?

If so mine may be stuck, also I really don't like that they are not made of metal can I swap them for metal ones?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
IIRC, the Gen II's have pretty stiff springs on them and you have to remove the cables before you can try to move them (I think). Not like the Gen I’s that are just hooked to a vacuum pot.

As for the Cobra intake the only real benefits are cosmetic and prepping for a supercharger (to my knowledge nobody makes an inlet tube for a Mark VIII), so for your application there really isn’t much to be gained.

On the Gen II’s if the IMRC's don't open, or open enough, the EEC will throw a code.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Don't swap to the metal IMRCs. The plastic ones insulate the intake from heat better, so people actually look to do the exact opposite and swap their early model metal IMRCs for the plastic ones.

As for the intake, from what I have heard the gen2 intake is more restrictive than the gen1, so a cobra intake swap does help a noticable amount. I have a cobra intake for my 98 sitting in my closet that I just haven't gotten around to installing yet. Once I get it in, I'll be sure to post up how it does. Hopefully I can have some before and after track passes too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a guy local who has a fully removed Cobra intake.

It comes with

The upper and lower intake.

The throttle body

The EGR and all othert sensors. It comes with out the IMRC's and the EGR tube all for 330.00....

What do you guys think?

If I don't use the intake would the throttle body give me any thing extra?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
That's not bad for everything. Make sure to get the fuel rails too because I think those are different. And no you won't gain anything by using just the throttle body.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear this won't fit under the hood of my 97 Cougar after I do the swap but as all you know I am a person who likes to see it but I can't find a photo of were some one has tried.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, everyone has told me a Cobra intake will but fit under the hood of my 97 Cougar when I do the DOHC swap....

This is the part I don't get.

The Factory 1997 Mark8 intake is 7 1/2''from the bottom of the intake were it bolts to the IMRC's to the top of the intake (With out EGR)

Wile the factory 1997 Cobra intake is 7 1/2" from the bottom of the intake were it bolts to the IMRC's to the top of the intake (With EGR)

Why one more time will this not work?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I don't know if it will clear or not, as I have never tried it, but one issue might be that there is less hood clearance towards the front of the motor than towards the back. The cobra intake might be a little taller at the front than the Mark intake is, in which case it might not quite clear the hood. Then again, it may clear perfectly fine. I do know that the gen1 intake clears the stock hood without any issues, but that is noticably lower than the gen2 or cobra intakes.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think at this point I'm going to buy one and try it. If It won't fit I can get a new hood or just resell all the parts....

Two more questions,

One, can the cross over rube's for the DOHC motors be bought after market?

Two were can I find the lift and duration of factory Ford cams????

·
Registered
136 Posts
One, can the cross over rube's for the DOHC motors be bought after market?

Two were can I find the lift and duration of factory Ford cams????
AFAIK the early 4V crossover tubes are not available. I am by no means the last word on this, you may be able to find one, but I couldn't at the time. I was able to find a couple of decent ones in the junkyard and have them sandblasted.

As far as the cam specs, you can probably find that at markviii.org.
Those guys are very knowledgeable about the marks.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
As for the IMRC's Should they open by hand? kind of like pushing the T.B. open?
Mine were crusted over with crud, and frozen; one open, one closed.

I cleaned them by hand, disassembled the entire assembly, and relubed it.

I can open them easily with my thumb and forefinger squeezing the pivot/mount; maybe 20 pounds of force max.

Soaking the plastic piece in Tide and hot water removed the rest of the crud.

(Tide will etch aluminum, so be careful)

Getting the cups that seal the pivot bushings is the hard part; don't take those out if you don't have new ones to go in...I found some in a junk bin, so I have no idea where they came from.

An oil separator is going to be necessary in my future, I think. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
I think at this point I'm going to buy one and try it. If It won't fit I can get a new hood or just resell all the parts....
Did you ever figure out the cobra intake/97 hood answer?

-Joel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts