TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 93 SC/Auto with 122K miles on the car, that is very VERY clean and unmolested. I can get the car for $900-maybe less. However, it has a blown head gasket (imagine that ) The lady has spent money like fool on the car....$900 for motor mounts????

Anyways, the engine has about 4,000miles since the rebuild. Then the water pump developed a leak, and the lady owner took it to a corner shop who installed the pump (that she bought at Checker). The shop offered her no warranty because she bought her own water pump.

The very next day......it overheated within 10miles of driving and started blowing white smoke out the tailpipes. So she said she shut down, and hasn't restarted since being afraid of damaging the engine worse.

The other day I pulled dipstick and the oil is milky, and its been sitting like this for about 4 months now.

My question is....

Are the heads junk?
Is the whole engine junk (with 4K miles on it)?
What would it cost to fix it myself if the engine isn't junk? (head gaskets???)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pull the heads and have a machine shop do a warp check and pressure check. As long as she did not overheat the engine too bad you should be about the $500.00 range with ARP head studs and you are doing the labor. Be safe and have a machine shop look at the heads just to be sure they are not cracked. Don't forget to take care of the foamed oil.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I went to see it, the battery was dead from it sitting. I'm pretty sure by now, any water that could have been on the top of the pistons have drained, that it could be started up.

From the what the lady is saying, its really sounds like it could be nothing more than pulling the heads, checking them, new gaskets-plugs-02 sensors....and a ton of labor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't forget that after replacing the head gasket, you still have to figure out why it overheated. Shady shop or not, the recent water pump change may not have been the problem, or by fixing one problem another showed up. It would blow to get all the sweat and money into it, just to have it happen again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Plan on pulling the the entire engine. I have seen this all to often as the antifreeze will eat the bottom end. It will be fine in the begining if you change the oil out but soon after it will start knocken down the door of spun bearing time. If only they would have drained the oil out when it happend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts