TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I found someone's credit card on the ground in the parking log of the plaza I went to lunch at. I've been searching for the name of the person on the card through Google, Facebook, etc. to try and find the owner of the card, but I'm not getting very good information back.

What would you guys do? Continue searching and hope something comes up to find the owner of the card or destroy the card?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
If it's a driver's license, I would try and reach that person as noone likes to visit the DMV -- DMV employees included :).

If it's a credit card, just do them a favor by shredding it. There's a 99% chance that they will have already cancelled the CC as most credit card companies will overnight you a new card FOR FREE. I know this b/c back when I was younger and going out to bars in Austin and SF, I was pretty bad about forgetting to close out my tabs. I would just call them the next morning and while they would often still have my card, I would just ask them to give themselves a 15% tip and throw away the card. This way I wouldn't have to worry about if someone had copied down my CC# and would use it in a few months (by then, I wouldn't know WHO had stolen my number).

if it was a phone, I'd try to return it. I once found a blackberry on a run underneath a lift that the guy had lost seven days earlier (the cold temps probably helped conserve the battery life). He bought us a pitcher for our trouble which was nice.

-g

PS. My kid's nanny found a personal trainer's wallet on her walk to our house one morning. We knew this guy worked at the gym a block or so down the street b/c the DL name matched a business card inside. By the time we had dropped it off on the way to work that same morning (less than an hour later), he had already cancelled his CC.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I agree just shred it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Doing that as I type. It was getting to be too much of a hassle anyway searching for this guy.

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
A license or something important I'd give to the local cops.

They probably won't do anything to contact the person, but if they happen to call they could get it back.

If it's in an establishment, I'd give it to the owner or manager.

Anything else I'd shred.

Cash I'd pocket. >:)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Either destroy the card or call the credit card company. My cards have 1-800 numbers you can call printed on the card.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Either destroy the card or call the credit card company. My cards have 1-800 numbers you can call printed on the card.
Call me paranoid but you as the "good samaritan" finder of this CC have no idea what happened to it between when the owner lost it and you found it. Given that some dirtbag could have used it and tossed it and there's no value for you to report it (you destroying will just as effectively prevent someone else from using it), I would personally see no value (and some potential risk) if you were to call in and report it (say if this card had been maxed out before being tossed).

-g

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Destroy the card.

Driver's licenses I'd just mail to the address on the license. It's one stamp, you don't even need to put your return address on it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up destroying the card when I got home that evening. I was too busy to try and track down the owner.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I found a phone some time ago and tried and tried to find the owner. Nope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts