TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...if you had around $3-400 to spend on MY car. i was thinking a small subwoofer setup, but i thought id ask and see if i could do better. I cant think of anything to do to the drivetrain, but maybe you all can think of something for me.

my drivetrain mods:
underdrive pulleys
pi cams
pi intake
22c plugs
180* tstat
SCT chip (possibly dyno tune in sept.)
mark8 TC
jmod
magnaflow exhaust
..bout all i can think of.

*edit.. can i do nitrous for under $400?

what would u do with $3-400???

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Upgrade MAF
Subframe connectors
Braided stainless brake lines
New rear gears and trac-loc
Mark VIII rear lower control arms
SC/Mark VIII seats

General maintenance - ball joints, bushings, engine mounts, transmission mount, transmission cross member bushings.

How are your door seals? door hinges? door handles? trunk seal? carpeting?

Maybe extra headlights, reflector panels.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Wes,

Gears, Trac-Lock. Don't worry about installation, come on down, my buddy Kenny said he was going to do mine and Scott's for free, I'm sure I can talk him into one more.

gears are about 170.00 (I suggest 4.10's, but you know I'm crazy like that)
trac-lock off ebay for around 50.00
install kit with new bearings and shims, and trac-lock rebuild kit- 109.00

Right now gears would be the best mod for your car, hands down.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Driveshaft is a possibility, but some people don't have vibration, some do. You could just come to the dynotune and have your shiftpoints adjusted. You could always just have your driveshaft rebalanced for now, there is a good place in Wichita Falls that has a really good reputation, but I'd suggest a driveshaft when you can afford it, even sooner if you go with 4.10's. I have a couple hook-ups for driveshafts, if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i wont have enough money for the driveshaft...so if its even a maybe, i dont think i'd do the gears....at least 3.73's. would 3.55's even make a difference?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Rich, you wanna expound on the driveshaft deal?? PM me.

I just accepted my first fulltime job, starting in a couple weeks, in about a year and a half so in a few months, I should have a small bit of mod money that I can earmark.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
wes you can go as high as 3.73's without needing a tune. the stock computer can compensate for a two step jump in gears. if you go with 4.10's you'll need a tune. the driveshaft isnt a must unless you spend alot of time at 100+ mph. my friend, his name is j series on here, has 3.73s in his 96 bird ith the stock driveshaft and the vibratrions in his car are minimal and they dont start until 100+ mph. i personally ouldnt change the driveshaft.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
weswing04 said:
good to hear. i have a SCT chip, so its not the stock computer...but still...i'll look into it.
even with the sct chip it can still accomodate for the 3.73's

Frank

·
Registered
270 Posts
Gears sound like a great idea if you can get them installed for free or cheap..I think youd be really happy with it too performance wise

·
Registered
347 Posts
3.08 geared MN-12s can't, only 3.27 geared cars can go up to 3.73 gears without too much hassel.

Critical driveshaft speed also becomes much lower with the 3.73s, so even though you may not be able to feel it, it starts to set in around 80mph and it's echelon is about 120mph.

If you drive a lot of freeway speeds, it's almost crucial to do a new shaft -but I haven't changed mine either...yet.

fdawg97lx said:
wes you can go as high as 3.73's without needing a tune. the stock computer can compensate for a two step jump in gears. if you go with 4.10's you'll need a tune. the driveshaft isnt a must unless you spend alot of time at 100+ mph. my friend, his name is j series on here, has 3.73s in his 96 bird ith the stock driveshaft and the vibratrions in his car are minimal and they dont start until 100+ mph. i personally ouldnt change the driveshaft.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Derek said:
3.08 geared MN-12s can't, only 3.27 geared cars can go up to 3.73 gears without too much hassel.

i didnt mention this because all 96-97 mn12's come with 3.27's and wes has a 96.

Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts