TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I was kinda wondering ya'll would suggest for the next step to my drivetrain. I'm not at a point right now where I can get it but what would it be? My mods are in my signature. I was thinking maybe cams or Higher stall TC. But the TC wouldn't give me much addition on the street would it?

Open to your suggestions to what I should be looking at in the future

Thanks
Jonathan

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
if you hadn't had your exhaust manifolds worked i'd say kooks headers and a race ready transmission. then your car would be ready for whatever engine combo you through at it.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
TC and trans and think about a better driveshaft. Your stock trans may have more in it to handle the power but I think you wnat a high TC only with a built trans.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Torque converter will do more for performance to the setup than any other mod you can do for the money. The difference is night and day.
Alan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You highly underestimate the effects of a high-stall TC on a mod motor.
Notice it was a question and not a bold statement.

This car probably wont see the track so I was thinking more about performance from a roll.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
When I put my high stall in, it was one of the biggest noticeable, all-around gains I've done to the car. That's my vote.

If you're not gonna be tracking it, I wouldn't bother too much with a race ready trans. I've got a stock 01 GT tranny in my car with a Jmod, and have been beating on it for about 5 years now...track and street.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
personally i think you should go with a set of cams or start saving up for a blower.
The only problem you run into there is no low end power. I'm running big cams, and when I had a Marauder converter, I had no low end power. Once I hit the power band of the cams I was fine, but getting there sucked.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Mark one-piece DS. I was thinking cams too, like the Bullets from Nick. But it looks like the general consensus is a TC. What stall would ya'll recommend?

GM, the 3.73's are as real a set of gears I can afford! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
I was going to say driveshaft because you hadn't mentioned it ... until now.

So, I'd say for your next mod get some cams. The problem with a super high stall TC is you're going to need more traction. So before you spend the coin on a monster TC get some 17" or 18" x 9" rims and put some meaty 245's or 255's in front and some 275 or 285 steam rollers in back.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
^haha +1 for the steam rollers in the back

i dont think the higher stall is really going to do you much good from a roll, it might do you better after the cam.

well is there a cam that will give the PI motor good high end without loosing a bunch of low end?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This pig is only a very high 14 sec car right now isn't it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get some 17" or 18" x 9" rims and put some meaty 245's or 255's in front and some 275 or 285 steam rollers in back.
There are a set of chrome or polished bullets in my area in the 4.25 pattern but I just don't think they would look good on my red car. And I don't know if I even like bullets...

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I have a Mark one-piece DS. I was thinking cams too, like the Bullets from Nick. But it looks like the general consensus is a TC. What stall would ya'll recommend?

GM, the 3.73's are as real a set of gears I can afford! :)
well then you just have to admit to yourself that you bought a set of wussy gears and chalk it up to a mistake and learn from it

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
personally i think the chrome bullits on your red car will look good as hell but thats just me.

and i think a 373 gear is fine from a roll, for a 1/4mi car you might want 410 or 430.. i have a friend with a 430 gear in his 90 somethin camaro and i think he stops pulling at 85mph.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
personally i think the chrome bullits on your red car will look good as hell but thats just me.

and i think a 373 gear is fine from a roll, for a 1/4mi car you might want 410 or 430.. i have a friend with a 430 gear in his 90 somethin camaro and i think he stops pulling at 85mph.
you have that backwards.....if he isn't drag racing the car, then it wont matter if he steps up the gears, for he will not be able to top out 3rd gear on the streets from a roll, even on a stock NPI 4.6 (3rd gear tops out at 92mph @ 5200 RPMs with stock size tires and 4.30s)......a PI motor with an appropriate converter will top out at 110mph in 3rd @ 6000 RPMs....again, a speed not attainable in "street" driving from stop-light to stop-light

so shorter gears would be the best way to improve performance on a roll, bar-none----it has the same net effect as increasing the wheel-torque at all RPMs (and it is the ONLY physical engine/drivetrain mod that can do that from an N/A standpoint).....i've said it time and time again--everyone wants to maximize performance, but no one (ie: very few) wants to put real gears in their car

if that 90 something camaro stops pulling at 85mph with those gears, its because he doesnt have enough RPM range

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
you have that backwards.....if he isn't drag racing the car, then it wont matter if he steps up the gears, for he will not be able to top out 3rd gear on the streets from a roll, even on a stock NPI 4.6 (3rd gear tops out at 92mph @ 5200 RPMs with stock size tires and 4.30s)......a PI motor with an appropriate converter will top out at 110mph in 3rd @ 6000 RPMs....again, a speed not attainable in "street" driving from stop-light to stop-light

so shorter gears would be the best way to improve performance on a roll, bar-none----it has the same net effect as increasing the wheel-torque at all RPMs....(and it is the ONLY physical engine/drivetrain mod that can do that from an N/A standpoint).....i've said it time and time again--everyone wants to maximize performance, but no one (ie: very few) wants to put real gears in their car

if that 90 something camaro stops pulling at 85mph with those gears, its because he doesnt have enough RPM range

mmm good info there... had no idea.

im opening this back up because none of the new threads have interest me.. :)

im thinking your car should be low 14s with PI motor, tune, gear, exhaust, and the maruadar tc; right? paintme205 is at 13.15 with the same mods plus some weight reduction and a higher stall. you gotta be high 13s...:zdunno:

did you decide what your next mod was going to be?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts