TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ground effects on the passenger side door of my '89 Bird came loose. I took it off, and the guy that owned the car before me used super glue to reattach it at both ends where it came loose. Now I have to get this stuff off so I can reattach the piece correctly. Anyone had to remove super glue from their paint? If so, what did you use. I know finger nail polish with acetone should work, but is to hard on the paint? Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been using super glue for many years for building models. To the best of my knowledge, if it won't separate from the paint using your fingernail or other such scraping tool, you're pretty much SOL. I don't know of anything that will remove it and leave the paint unharmed.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Acetone will remove the paint too, that much I know.
From what I know about how superglue works, you won't be able to get it off of paint without sanding and repainting the area. From what I have been told, it is now almost a part of the paint. I may be wrong about that because I am not a chemist and I haven't studied it extensively. I am just repeating what I have been told about it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, here is an update on the super glue. I have been using "super glue remover" from ACE Hardware, and it is coming off, slowly but surely. I have been working on the lower part of the ground effects, as some of the super glue ran down on it. I put a little bit of remover on the glue with my finger, let it work for about 30 seconds, and remove it with a wet cloth. Does not seem to be hurting the paint, and as a matter of fact, it is cleaning the areas that I am working on so well that I am going to have to clean the rest of the lower ground effects to make it so it doesn't look so dirty!!!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Sand stones.

They are made for runs and such. Use lots of water and sand slowly.

You will then sand with 1500 or such and buff.
Works like a dream.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Goo be gone on a damp rag did it for me when i got glue on my paint. Sell it at Home depot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts