TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to upgrade very soon and was wondering what year is the prefered for this upgrade? Which years of the engine would give the least amounts of problems. Tranny also. Could I just take the engine and tranny out of the same car? And if so, what all would I need from the Mark? Any help would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The 96 and olders were a little faster stock in the 1/4 mile due to a crappy intake on the newer ones but the throttle body, IAC, etc, is MUCH easier to access on the newer ones. I think the 98 Mark had the best tranny of any MN-12/FN-10.

As far as what else you need from the Mark, maybe nothing, maybe the whole wiring harness, maybe just the PCM and the VCRM. There is more than one way to skin a cat. You could problaby use your stock PCM and have it reflashed and run an MSD RPM switch to control the IMRC's. You could put the whole Mark harness in your car, relocating the PCM to somewhere on the drivers side of the car. You could use the Mark PCM with your current harness with some modification and then you need the VCRM to control the fan and some other stuff. It all depends on what you feel confortable doing.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You want the throttle cable from the Mark too along with the alternator. If the car is in front of you and they are letting you take stuff with the engine, take all you can, fuel lines that run up to the rail, etc. the more you take the less you buy later.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Also, '93-'95 Mark VIII are EEC-IV, while '96 -'98 are EEC-V. '97-'98 have a different intake which is easier to work on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking on GreenLeaf.com and found a few transmisions, one for $550, but what is this... "w/ID PKE-AD"? Don't think I've run into this term before. Also they have a few engines between $800-$1000, is this about the right price? And I'm sure I can get alot the the misc parts right here in town. Also "4 Cam Bird" very, very sweet looking bird. The engine looks beautiful. Hope to look that good soon. Thanks again.

·
8,239 Posts
the PKE-AD does not matter if you are putting the transmission in a tbird.

I believe it has something to do with the Mark EEC, not totally sure though.

When i got my 98 tranny, it came with a tag (W/ ID PKE-AD)

I have searhed around on several forums, and am still not totally sure what it means.

JH

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also if I was to go with the '96 engine and '98 tranny with all the wires and doohickeys, would I still have to have alot of wires spliced to get everything to work. Just trying to see what the easiest (I know it won't be) way possible would be for the fewest amount of things to go wrong would be. Thanks again.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think the easiest way would be simply to take the engine from a Mark and rebuild your current tranny... Unless I missed something, wouldn't that be the simplest? Or are you looking to be able to build everything and then install it? If you are worried about wiring and everything, I would simply get a Mark engine, computer, and wiring harness... I found a '94 complete for 850 to my door...

Sam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts