TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year Mustang Gt engien would fit into a 97 T-bird. Would I hace to change any thing to make it work??
Jace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,223 Posts
dont get an engine out of a mustang. it will only cost you more money. get a 02-04 explorer engine. it will be about half the price for a better engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But when you buy the gt engine you get the hp. Insted of getting the hp of an explorer and beffing it up. What would be smart money??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
Jace041079 said:
But when you buy the gt engine you get the hp. Insted of getting the hp of an explorer and beffing it up. What would be smart money??

02-05 explorer motors are no different than a mustang, actually better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,165 Posts
The Explorer motors have the same heads, cams, intakes, etc. as the GT engine. Plus it has an aluminum block.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
557 Posts
do the stang motors have aluminum block?
 

·
Fry Rice Specialist
Joined
·
4,794 Posts
crown vic and gm motor is about half the price of explorer motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
explorer motor is the same from heads down as mustang except it has aluminum block which is better

the intake is not good though, it's a pi intake but it takes coolant from the front crossover to go to the heater core and in high performance use the rear cylinders get a little too warm

cliff's: get explorer motor but use mustang coolant mod'd intake
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,165 Posts
Or just get an explorer motor and use a Mustang Intake, or other PI intake. They're getting pretty inexpensive now (heck, even I got one and I'm notoriously cheap!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
sleepinggt said:
explorer motor is the same from heads down as mustang except it has aluminum block which is better

the intake is not good though, it's a pi intake but it takes coolant from the front crossover to go to the heater core and in high performance use the rear cylinders get a little too warm

cliff's: get explorer motor but use mustang coolant mod'd intake

there are three different explorer intake manifolds, two of the incarnations have a front nipple, one has a rear nipple.
 

·
Amateur Expert
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
Nien, iron.....same for the crown vic.
Well....not ALL the Mustang GT's have an iron block...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
If you do decide to go with a Mustang engine, stick with the '99-'04 and swap over your T-Bird ignition components and return style fuel rails. Theres a big horsepower advantage to going with the PI hardware over the NPI. You should really have the ECU retuned for best results though. :)

VicRattlehead said:
dont get an engine out of a mustang. it will only cost you more money. get a 02-04 explorer engine. it will be about half the price for a better engine.
I wouldn't think so anymore. The Explorer having an aluminum block crazy has hit a lot of the local wrecking yards around here and they're starting to ask top dollar for the EX engines. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
what mustang engine would fit my 95

im looking at probably replacing my 95 tbird 4.6 motor with something else. would a cobra engine fit a bird, from a mustang
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
the 96-98 cobra is pretty much a mark vIII motor so yeah. if you wanna talk the sc variations i think it will fit with a differant hood but it will be tight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
coggonobrien said:
the 96-98 cobra is pretty much a mark vIII motor so yeah. if you wanna talk the sc variations i think it will fit with a differant hood but it will be tight

but different cams and intake manifold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,223 Posts
coggonobrien said:
the 96-98 cobra is pretty much a mark vIII motor so yeah. if you wanna talk the sc variations i think it will fit with a differant hood but it will be tight
and no alternator, but who needs one of thoes?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top