TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want one thats not too expensive, but will give me extra horse, and of course, not hurt the engine

·
Registered
241 Posts
As far as I know, there isnt a premade CAI you can buy for the Tbird. However, its not hard to make your own for under 50 bux. Get some PVC, a few rubber elbows, some clamps and a cheap cone from Autozone, and you can make one easy.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I use a 97 4.6 Tbird intake. More than enough airflow for the 3.8.

You could use an aftermarket Honda intake but thats automotive blasphemy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
crap i cant find the site but i am sure mac makes them i just pulled my air box and air filter with the silncer off and put a k&n filter on the stock pipe

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here is a pic of my setup...

Just cut out the elbow from some random intake I found and pieced it together. Works great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's actually a kinda funny story. Originally I had a solid aluminum piece on there instead of the stock tubing with an extension. See pic below...

I found it on the wall of a local shop and asked him what car it was for, and guy didn't know! Whatever car it went to was almost identical to a civic tube but with a little sharper bend to it. So I asked him if I could run it out to my car to see if it would fit, and sure enough it did (minus a few alterations). After having it on a couple months, I noticed that when I stepped on the gas, the engine was torturing to the passenger side which was forcing the tube to rub up against a sharp edge. When I took it off to adjust it, I saw that where it was rubbing had almost eaten through the tubing. So I hacked it up a little more and made a CAI out of it. It works great except that it was a PITA to connect the filter because neither one would fit through the hole in the fender and I was working on it alone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
hell yea does water get in the filter when your drive it in the rain and i have my filter just sitting there like in your first pic does it make a different if its down there in the fender

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
i juz got mine made up at a muffler shop out of 3" tubing cost me $45 for 2 pieces and it hangs low to the ground and it doesnt get wet at all. but u gotta recharge them the lower u get

·
Registered
121 Posts
well i don't got the black plastic in my fender my car is to low and it was rubbing long story but i think it might get water in mine but i am goin to try it this weekend

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you can buy 3" mandrel L bends on eBay for 30 dollars and make one out of them with a hack saw and some silicone connectors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts