TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Synthetic oil is the best for our cars, but besides synthetic...what would be a better oil to run for a T-Bird with 130,000 miles on it.....I always use 10W30, but last time i changed my oil, my mechanic was telling me to use 10W40...He said it was better for my car with the amount of mileage it has on it.
I've never had a problem with 10W30...I used it on my 88 T-Bird, and now for 3 years on my 94 3.8L......Also I live in Jersey...Our winters get cold, and our Summers get hot....If that's any help

Also what's the real difference? which one is thicker? and why would one be better than the other?

Thanks
BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
As far as viscosity range is concerned:

What's your oil consumption like now?

If it's low, keep using 10W30. If it's
slowly gotten noticably higher over the
past couple of years go to 10W40. It
won't hurt to go to to 10W40 now, but if
your oil consumption is still relatively
low, then doing so is unnecessary.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had real good luck with running 10w40 during the hot months, and switching to 10w30 for the winter months in my 5.0 (when it was a daily driver). The 10w30 just seemed too thin during the really hot months, had less pressure. The weather here in Chi-town is pretty similar to NJ I think.

Keep in mind, this is for the 5.0...I think the modulars like a thinner oil, yes? :confused: Although the 3.8 should be similar to my experiences...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts