TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuild my 95 4.6 engine and swap in the port and polish heads or buy a 96,97 4.6 engine also swap the heads or go with an explorer 4.6 engine but with this one i want to know if i have to buy a different tranny

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
So you have a set of PnP'ed 95 heads? I don't know if they are better than a PI engine swap or not. PI swap is the best, converting to the 96/97 heads and intake setup next, and sticking with the 95 heads and intake are last, I don't know how PnP heads change all that.

95 heads would limit your cam choices, put them (PnPed) on a newer NPI block and updating to the 96/97 intake setup and pi intake might be good too :shrug:

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
IIRC, atleast an 02. I believe the 02+'s have an aluminum block. That's what I'll be going with when I get to that point.

-Melon

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Do you have flow data for your heads?
What are your goals for this car?
What is your budget?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Go with an 02 or 03 exploder engine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bad the heads are from a mustang gt and i want power to be pushing 20's and just in case when i go to the track my budget would be around $1500 and i want to get it tuned or programmed how would i go about that

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Unless you know who ported the heads, or how much they flow, I'd say just go with a cheap explorer motor. Thats a tight budget for an explorer motor swap, but it can be done with careful planning.

·
8,239 Posts
Well when you do a pi explorer motor, count on putting a late model trans in there as well.

Mine as well do a driveshaft as well.

Mine as well do a rear end..

And the list never ends.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
95CougarXR7 4.6OHC said:
my bad the heads are from a mustang gt and i want power to be pushing 20's and just in case when i go to the track my budget would be around $1500 and i want to get it tuned or programmed how would i go about that

Pushing 20 what? Age, rims, or pounds of boost?

$1500 is a really tight budget, hope you are not including the tune in that price. If so get some PI heads, intake, and a swap kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts