TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it states I was wondering what would be required to get 300 rwhp on a NA build? It would be going in a 95 T-Bird

This is not something that is gonna happen in the next lil bit but eventually I would like to try to reach this goal...

I know that otherthings would have to be looked at first but i would kinda like to start planning this out,

Also not looking to do a 32v swap maybe explorer swap

·
Registered
792 Posts
i cant really tell u personaly but there is a book i have that is called "how to build max-performance ..4.6 liter ford engines"...it covers 4.6L & 5.4L 2,3 and 4 valve head and intake
-camshafts & headers
-big-bore & stroker short blocks
-blowers, turbos, and nitrous
they have even successful packages in the book. witch is form a packages that has 345 hp and 355 tq(2v 96-04 n/a) to 1500 hp 1000 tq 32v (blown or turboed) custom built engines

·
Registered
455 Posts
this is MY build:
DSS racing short block with 10cc pistons and .20 over $3,000
fox lake stage 2 heads, comp stage 2 cams $2,500
pi intake with c&l plenum and 75mm t/b $700
2800 stall converter $800
kooks headers, catless, 2.5 duals $1700
3.27 posi rear, built trans by darrin $1200
and tuned on blown head gaskets (consumed 1 gallon of antifreeze per 200 miles) made 272 rwhp and 292 rwtq, and ran 13.7 at 99.9 mph 1/4 time

new setup with unk numbers: NEW HEAD GASKETS!!!! $200 port matched bullitt intake $1500 , 3600 tripple disk circle d converter $1000, 3.55 posi rear $400, ARP everything $400, and vortec with 15 psi :) $1500

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
if i could do it all over again, i would do a 3 or 4 valve build, don't blow the money like i did on a 2 valve......
Agreed. The 2V will make good power, but if I had my identical setup with a 32V head instead of my 2Vs, I'd probably be making 370-380 at the wheels with the Ford Racing cam set for the DOHC engine.

If I had headers on my car now, it would make 300 RWHP, but they are awaiting install. I'm currently making around 270, but the stock manifolds are killing me.

Maybe the new Trick Flow heads will make a 2V more of a viable option, but still. Just get a DOHC longblock, slap a Vortech on it with 6 PSI worth of boost, and you're done.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
this is MY build:
DSS racing short block with 10cc pistons and .20 over $3,000
fox lake stage 2 heads, comp stage 2 cams $2,500
pi intake with c&l plenum and 75mm t/b $700
2800 stall converter $800
kooks headers, catless, 2.5 duals $1700
3.27 posi rear, built trans by darrin $1200
and tuned on blown head gaskets (consumed 1 gallon of antifreeze per 200 miles) made 272 rwhp and 292 rwtq, and ran 13.7 at 99.9 mph 1/4 time

New setup with unk numbers: NEW HEAD GASKETS!!!! $200 port matched bullitt intake $1500 , 3600 tripple disk circle d converter $1000, 3.55 posi rear $400, ARP everything $400, and vortec with 15 psi :) $150

If i could do it all over again, i would do a 3 or 4 valve build, don't blow the money like i did on a 2 valve......
You needd 3.73's or 4.10's.

Wait until you can get your hands on the new TrickFlow 2V heads. They'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
455 Posts
wait till the trick flows come out? no way! i've spent wwaaayyyy too much money on the ehads i have now and my intake is custom matched to my current set up, thanks though. i would go with a larger rear if i did not have a blower. thunderbirds are unique in that they are luxury performance. i am keeping the car streetable. if i wanted a 1/4 car, i would have built a mustang.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
lol. 3.73's are streetable even with a blower.

I should have clarified. The reference to the TrickFlow heads was for the original poster, Mr. transam396, who has his F150 listed in his profile instead of his Tbird and who's screen name reflects a GM product, go figure?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
if i wanted a 1/4 car, i would have built a mustang.
why?
everyone else and their brother has a stang.

sometimes its good being different.
when it comes to actually building a real race car, it really doesn't matter what car you go with, it all costs lots of money.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Well, NA you would need 4.10's or 4.30's for the gears, but I went with the 3.73's to leave the door open for a Vortech. If you get a stout 2V built then throw some boost at it, the 3.73's would be perfect for the MPH you'd cut across the line in 3rd.

Pete

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol. 3.73's are streetable even with a blower.

I should have clarified. The reference to the TrickFlow heads was for the original poster, Mr. transam396, who has his F150 listed in his profile instead of his Tbird and who's screen name reflects a GM product, go figure?

Sorry I didn't realize that I hadn't corrected my profile since i got my bird...When i signed up I didn't have my bird yet so i listed the truck.

As for the screen name I've been using that same screen name since 1997 , I had a 1980 transam that I was going to put a 396 in. But marraige intervened.

I'm really intrested to see what kind of numbers the trickflow heads can put down.

I kinda laugh when i hear guys talking about needing 400-500 rwhp I think 300 would be a real nice number and as far as gears go would prob stay with somethin like a 3.55 or maybe as high as 3.73 to maintain some type of highway mileage as this is my DD.

LOL since I got this Thunderbird my 04 supercrew with the larait trim has been on the road Twice since October i just LOVE driving this car

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I kinda laugh when i hear guys talking about needing 400-500 rwhp I think 300 would be a real nice number and as far as gears go would prob stay with somethin like a 3.55 or maybe as high as 3.73 to maintain some type of highway mileage as this is my DD.

Well, as for gears, lemme put it to you this way. My car makes within 15 RWHP of Johnny Langton's. They were on the dyno the same day at the same place; however, his car runs over 1 sec faster in the 1/4 mile. The only significant differences are that he has 4.30's to my 3.73's, a higher stall converter than my 3500, and he ran on slicks. That's it. My 3.73's get about 24 mpg on the highway at 70 MPH while JL gets about 21-22 with the 4.30's.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Sorry I didn't realize that I hadn't corrected my profile since i got my bird...When i signed up I didn't have my bird yet so i listed the truck.

As for the screen name I've been using that same screen name since 1997 , I had a 1980 transam that I was going to put a 396 in. But marriage intervened.

I'm really interested to see what kind of numbers the trickflow heads can put down.

I kinda laugh when i hear guys talking about needing 400-500 rwhp I think 300 would be a real nice number and as far as gears go would prob stay with something like a 3.55 or maybe as high as 3.73 to maintain some type of highway mileage as this is my DD.

LOL since I got this Thunderbird my 04 super-crew with the lariat trim has been on the road Twice since October i just LOVE driving this car
That's cool. Thanks for the clarification on your screen name.

Yea, I'd have to agree, 300 would be a real nice number to achieve. That's been my goal as well. I hope to get there this year or next. I'm running 3.73's in mine as well and am very pleased with them.

Here's a snapshot of the flyer for the new Trick Flow heads with some numbers on it, from this thread where we've been discussing them. There are also some other pictures of the new heads in the linked thread.

It's my understanding that the new Trick Flow heads are on several blocks and are currently being Dyno tested for stories to be run in automotive magazines in the coming months. As far as I know they're still not yet available. They will definitely be on backorder as soon as they are released for sale.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Well, as for gears, lemme put it to you this way. My car makes within 15 RWHP of Johnny Langton's. They were on the dyno the same day at the same place; however, his car runs over 1 sec faster in the 1/4 mile. The only significant differences are that he has 4.30's to my 3.73's, a higher stall converter than my 3500, and he ran on slicks. That's it. My 3.73's get about 24 mpg on the highway at 70 MPH while JL gets about 21-22 with the 4.30's.

Pete
4.10's and Vortech are not as bad as everyone thinks .

1 - 20 of 93 Posts