TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Spring is finally upon us what is everybody working on getting done to their birds?

I for one have been stockpiling parts since last fall. I've been given the green light by my better half to pay for the following to get installed (parts already on hand):

- J-modded transmission
- 3.73 gears rear differential
- Rack and pinion
- New calipers, rotors, pads all around
- professionally painted interior gauge bezel, center console, door switch surrounds
- New cats (hopefully all new exhaust to go with it)
- Front/Rear suspension (still need to order everything from supercoupeperformance.com)

I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning to come!!!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I kinda want to paint my calipers...not sure which color yet. I'll eventually need to replace my front sway bar bushings and inner rear upper control arm bushings.

·
Super Moderator
16,748 Posts
I have a lot of plans that will go into summer but the spring specific ones are as follows(in order of priority)

1. Get the transmission in already
2. Get new outer tie rods and sway bar links up front
3. Install Mark VIII LCAs and Poly bushings out back
4. New tires and quite possibly new wheels
5. Assess DOHC situation(might possibly be the summer project if all else goes to plan)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
No Tbird plans, but I have plans to somehow work on the Cougar on my 1 day off a week, and hopefully setup my "machine shop". Need to weld up some titanium tubing. Need to set up a heat-sink/argon-purge setup just for that. Ugh. Why did you remind me? lol

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
New fuel filter, fuel pump and paint touch up.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
1. Finish

I'm building 2 cars and have all the parts piled in the shop. I get about two hours after work every day. I may have one of them done before spring is over :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda want to paint my calipers...not sure which color yet. I'll eventually need to replace my front sway bar bushings and inner rear upper control arm bushings.
I was thinking same thing since I have the new calipers in hand. Was thinking of going with the classic TBird turquoise color (the car itself is black). I would just hate to get tired of the color later and wish I'd just left them alone, or just painted them black.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a lot of plans that will go into summer but the spring specific ones are as follows(in order of priority)

5. Assess DOHC situation(might possibly be the summer project if all else goes to plan)
What's the situation with your DOHC setup?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Tbird plans, but I have plans to somehow work on the Cougar on my 1 day off a week, and hopefully setup my "machine shop". Need to weld up some titanium tubing. Need to set up a heat-sink/argon-purge setup just for that. Ugh. Why did you remind me? lol
For some reason that makes me envision Tony Stark working on Iron Man suit.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
For some reason that makes me envision Tony Stark working on Iron Man suit.
I wouldn't put that kind of thing past GM. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
New tie-rod ends, and install new SCP seat upholstery. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts

There are poly bushings available for the Mark VIII LCAs? Mine are in need of bushings and I can't justify ~$600 for the delrin ones right now.

·
Super Moderator
16,748 Posts
Nor can I :D Check out this thread :http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=68894

What's the situation with your DOHC setup?
Well I've had it since Nov 2012 and besides gathering supporting parts for it here and there I haven't really made any strides towards actually getting it in the car, particularly with regards to hood and exhaust clearance. I need to assess whether or not it will make it in anytime soon.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
I'm taking the Cougar Jet to the dyno today to have the new bullet adjusted.

New cam's, new intake manifold, new torque converter and new used headers.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I was going to paint the car but life got in the way.. I'll settle for drag radials mounted to my Windstar 15" rims and some light body touchup work. My bird is running fantastic!

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Need to weld up some titanium tubing. Need to set up a heat-sink/argon-purge setup just for that. Ugh. Why did you remind me? lol
A sandblaster glove box with the seams sealed up works pretty well for that.

Leave a vent in the top, heat up the inside, and purge cold gas from the bottom gently, while venting the top.

Hot air out, cold argon in. :) Close the valve, you're good to go.

Working thru gloves is a drag, but welding without them is worse, lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
For spring I need to do front brakes. Been thinking about switching to PBR brakes... Anyone have a set for sale? Not sure about getting junk yard brakes and brand new ones are pricey.

For summer a 100 wet shot of laughing gas. Really want to do a hub swap but I just bought brand new BF Goodrich 245/60-15 tires... Maybe I'll get some slicks if I can get a good deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts