TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a friend who insists that unless I get forged rods I won't be able to use the power from my pi swap because the 96 bottom end will detonate like a bomb before it gets into the power band where all the gains are at... Is he right? Will a stock 96 bottom end not be able to spin high enough to use the power?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the rods in the PI engines are the same rods as are in the NPI engines. I.e. POS powdered metal, but still good enough to last in the Mustang GT's, etc.

PI heads are good, but it isn't like they are a race prepped, big port, big valve, high rpm heads (assuming you haven't had any work done to them).

I would be more concerned with the torque converter ballooning before I would be concerned with the bottom end grenading.

But just my .02 and hopefully those with more knowledge will chime in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ok, I have a friend who insists that unless I get forged rods I won't be able to use the power from my pi swap because the 96 bottom end will detonate like a bomb before it gets into the power band where all the gains are at... Is he right? Will a stock 96 bottom end not be able to spin high enough to use the power?
In N/A form, you can mod the hell out of that engine and you will be fine!

A good tune will be needed after your PI swap though to see max HP from the swap.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
He's ignorant-that's all. The stock roads are forged. They're not a high-strength forging, but they are forged. Stock 2V shortblock is OK up to around 6000 RPMs, after that-you're pushing it a bit.
JL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts