TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of the jerry mod, trans-go, art-carr, b&m. I have a trans-go kit on my 90 SC but not sure if it would work on the 94 electronic controlled tranny. Thanks.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If you have heard of the Jerry mod and you understand who he is there should be no question which you want to do. Of all the others you listed trans go would be the only other you should even consider but let me be clear it is a DISTANT second

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Other kits aren't bad, they are just not as good as the J-mod. The major difference is that the J-mod will help your tranny live longer, you can't say that about some kits out there (like the electric bauman kit).

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The J-Mod not only improves the shift quality, it reduces the wear on the clutches.

Adding an auxillary cooler will help the transmission and fluid both.

These two items will get you the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I too vote for the J-mod. If you dont want to do the servos, you don't have to. the piston upgrades should be done to your tranny anyway, and drilling the plate isnt all that hard. The toughest part is going to the local industrial supply shop to get a few drill bits! Read the directions carefully and follow them step-by-step. And don't rush. I've done 4 of them so far, the last one I did took 2 hours start to finish... but I'm getting practiced :) The first one you do will take most of a day - plan on it. And yes, a tranny cooler is a VERY good idea, especially if you are thinking about a shift kit.

A wise man once said "If your car is ever taken out of Park you need a tranny cooler."

Tom

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
GreenBird said:
Other kits aren't bad, they are just not as good as the J-mod. The major difference is that the J-mod will help your tranny live longer, you can't say that about some kits out there (like the electric bauman kit).
I am not sure about that. I have been running an Art-Carr transmission since 1998. I beat the heck out of it. In addition I have been putting out a ton of torque in the past several years (over 300 ft-lbs) with no problems. My transmission shifts fast and works great.

A tranny cooler is a must. I have a big one that is hard piped.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
This has to be the hight of your bias against the Jman

I am glad your Art Car is so nice but to suggest that they know more about building a trans than the man who designed it is lunacy

Please go peddle your bullsh*t on another board like cougernuts where it belongs

·
Registered
210 Posts
timb said:

I am glad your Art Car is so nice but to suggest that they know more about building a trans than the man who designed it is lunacy

Please go peddle your bullsh*t on another board like cougernuts where it belongs
I second that! Take your negitive CRAP somewhere else............... :zmonkey: :zmonkey: :zmonkey: :king:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Re read his post with the quote he references he is saying that the J mod is not the best of the bunch. If it were a simple matter of his opinion that would be one thing but he systematically bashes any positive thing said about J. Just read through a few threads on EEC regarding J's custom superchip software

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I don't always agree with J. Miller, but I saw nothing wrong with his post.

He was stating his opinion, based on his experiences.

I think the part of the post he was referencing to was the part about the longevity of the tranny with a different brand "shift kit".

I did not take his comments as a "negative" towards the J-Mod or it's inventor.

IMO

Also, note:

I have 194,000 miles on my tranny, without having added an aux. cooler and did not do the J-Mod and MerconV until about the 140,000 mile mark.

Yet my own experience seems to differ with a lot of others here.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
So be it...we can agree to disagree. It could be read both ways.

Now back to more important things like helping this guy get a better shifting trans:cool2:

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Hey TimB;

Wasn't really trying to diss you or anything with my comments.

The point I am trying to make is that this forum is a great way for people to read what others have experienced with their cars, and to share that.

If people read all the information posted here, they will see that the majority of it will lead them in a certain direction. If it doesn't, then that's fine, too.

After all, one of the best things about the Good Ole USA is Freedom of Choice!

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Rolling,

No prob I didn't take it that way at all. Sometimes we need someone to let us know when to take a step back. I agree anyone should be able to express what they want around here as far as opinions...this could be one of those ones that enters that grey area of opinion vs bad tech info but as you said read it all and make your own decision.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i think people just need to chill and accept we all arent the same.....go with jmod...it works for our trannies.....if i were to buy a new tranny.....witch i did......i was going to get a pa valve body......no really talks about them.....but in a sense its a shift kit...and i heard its a beast....like almost seems to wanna chirp 2nd-3rd does anyone know about the longevity of that?...i was thinkin of buying that in place of the jmod......b/c the bird vb leaves something to desire

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
timb said:

What a load! :bs: I purchased the Art-Carr before the J-mod was available to the public. It was only a few months after I bought my reman transmission did he start modifying them. If I waited just a few months longer I may not have purchased the Art-Carr. :tongue:

Take a good look at my home web page. Though he requested that I remove his name, the Fuel Injector sizing program that I wrote was with his input. We have spoke on many occasions. Lets not confuse my distaste with a companies service with my opinion of an individual. He has done a great service for our community. :ssalute:

Now that I settled that issue. How do you get off saying that an individual actually designed the transmission? Ford operates with Engineering Project Teams. Trust me, I know a little something about how Engineering Projects are managed. Please do not exaggerate the truth. :zsoapbox:

Originally posted by Rolling-Thunder
I think the part of the post he was referencing to was the part about the longevity of the tranny with a different brand "shift kit".
That is correct. I know absolutely nothing about the J-Mod since I do not have one. All I know is my brand transmission can take a licking!

Holy cow… You Florida guys need to chill!
:ztoohot:

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
He was stating his opinion, based on his experiences.
Well if thats the case here's mine...

Art Carr's 4R70W's suck and their customer service is a complete joke. Also, 300 Ft-LBs is not a ton of torque and you have bashed Jerry on a personal level in the past.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Art Carr's 4R70W's suck and their customer service is a complete joke. Also, 300 Ft-LBs is not a ton of torque and you have bashed Jerry on a personal level in the past.
Then I must have been lucky. I have never had a Automatic transmission last as long as this one has with my driving style: Five (5) years and over 100,000 miles of nothing but abuse.

I did have a little problem when the transmission came in. Delivery was a week late and they forgot to ship the MLPS with it. I called them and they took care of it. That was a few years ago... and things can change.

I am not a kid please do not assume otherwise. I have no monetary or personal interest in the matter so, my opinion is not biased.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
angery people arent we......does anyone have any bashing....i mean....opinions on the pa vb?...i know the one dude who put it in his 94 bird loved the thing.....so i was thinkin maybe if i end up 250 bucks up...of getin that one......maybe.....just maybe....its between that and the jmod....id love to do jmod but i can see myself messing up....i mean id take it slow and prolly wouldnt end up screw up its just i dont want my car down ever.....i will for sure do a b&m cooler...the big one

·
Registered
210 Posts
Get some help and do the Jmod, it's less expensive and better IMO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts