TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm dropping the engine cradle out of my '95 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. There are a total of 6 positive torx head bolts holding the engine cradle to the unibody structure. Does anyone know the size of that torx head??? I don't have them and am going to borrow on from a friend of mine on the other side of town... i need to tell him what size it is so he can make sure he has it, and if not I will need to buy one and don't want to buy a set if I don't need to. thank!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It's an inverted torx (E) socket. I suggest going to Harbor freight or something and buying a cheap complete set. It is the largest in my set. The small ones are usefull on alot of studs.
Alan

·
Registered
161 Posts
If I recall from the last time I was under there.... they are just 12-point heads. Any standard-size 12 point socket or wrench will fit. They look like 13mm, same size as the rear driveshaft flange bolts. While you're under there you might want to check those bolts, also. They have a nasty habit of coming loose.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
No they are star shaped E sockets. If they are in there really good all you will do is mess them up with the wrong socket.
Alan

·
Banned
50 Posts
Yep, they have six points and not twelve. And my car has 8 bolts under there, not 6.

Thanks for the name of the sockets as I need to buy one... for some reason my SC is missing one of the 8 bolts. :(

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Distortion 5.0 said:
E 18 fits the sub frame bolts, sounds like that is what you are referring to.
Correct.

I just searched this as I was shopping sets of E sockets.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
finally found it.....So, E 18 is the size socket to remove the k-member?

I have what I call star drive sockets...but only up to 1/2 in size.

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
Or just use a 6-point 9/16" socket. That's all I've ever used on them, and even on northern cars that the floors are rotting out, they come right out without any damage to the bolt.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Or just use a 6-point 9/16" socket. That's all I've ever used on them, and even on northern cars that the floors are rotting out, they come right out without any damage to the bolt.
I didn't even try to see if anything else fit.....thanks Mikey....I'll give it a whirl!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
If that works, that is a good deal. Trying to find the E18 socket is tough. I had to order mine as nobody in town stocked it. :-(

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I used a 12 point 15mm on mine and I had absolutely no problems at all. But then again my car has zero rust it it anywhere. And I must have ran them in and out 20 times putting up and dropping the K-member for the longtube install, loo. But that said you should always use the correct tools, if you get in trouble at least you tried to do it right from the start.

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
You mean you used a 6-point socket, right? 9/16" and 15mm are pretty close, with 9/16 being a little bit smaller, and I know a 12pt 9/16" socket won't work, but a 6pt works perfect.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Nope it was a 12 point, I dont have a 6 pt 15mm for 1/2" drive and I was using my impact to remove the bolts. Not the tightest fit in the world, but like I said no rust so it worked. I would advise against using anything but the right tools, but there are usually other ways if your in a bind.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
well the 6 point 9/16 worked perfect!
Like it was meant for that bolt.
And the bolts came out easy as pie.....excpet one, the damn nut started spinning in the frame.
And to make matters worse, I welded up the access hole to get to nuts.....so, I had to come from the inner fender and get to them like that. I had to cut a small access hole(actually make an existing hole bigger), and was then able to get a wrench on the nut.

all in all, it was easy.....now my car is a shell :)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I bought an e18 off of amazon works like it should. The only other e socket I can think of is hold the 3 studs on the side mirror to take off the black trim you need a tiny e socket or I bet you could use something else since its not high tq stuff.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
those particular fasteners on the mirror are held in with some super loctite type ****. i broke 2 bits and decided they could be masked off instead of removed.

-John

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
those particular fasteners on the mirror are held in with some super loctite type ****. i broke 2 bits and decided they could be masked off instead of removed.

-John
x2...i stipped mine I believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts