TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can this sucker be mounted sideways, or does it have to be "vertical" like the way it is factory installed in our cars? BTW, I like asking newbie questions every now and then. Makes me feel young again. :tongue:

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Gosh what a newb question, are you going to put a carb set up on too? :p

Everyone I've seen is in a vertical .

·
̇
3,701 Posts
guitar maestro said:
can this sucker be mounted sideways, or does it have to be "vertical" like the way it is factory installed in our cars?
In your case like others have suggested it wouldn't really matter..

In the case of most people..I would just leave it alone for the simple fact that a lot of people "top off" their gas tanks with fuel..

Mounting it sideways, or eliminating it all together could possibly cause liquid fuel to hit the ground if you "topped off" your gas tank too much..

If you could adapt the set-up used on the gen 2 Mark VIII you should be alright though..They wouldn't come from the factory that way if they were dangerous..

I'm sure you've already made up your mind anyways..This was just a n00b question for your entertainment.. :evil4:

Rayo..

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I replace lots of evap systems at work most are sideways.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
There is one thing that's not been mentioned - how are the canisters designed inside?

It may be that the one on the MN12 has to be vertical, but the ones on the Mark VIII have to be horizontal.

Or maybe they're the same inside. I don't know, I don't know that yes, they can be rotated or no, you need one designed to go horizontal.

Maybe someone should cut a pair apart and see how they're baffled etc. inside?

Just a thought - if you want to mount it horizontal, without checking internal construction, I'd use a horizontal application unit.

RwP

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've completely deleted many of these. Mostly on Hondas. I assume you wanted to keep yours because, in honesty, it's probably the best thing to do. The fumes stored in the canister are drawn from the tank and the intake manifold creates the vacuum that draws it out. (I'm sure you already knew this). You can relocate them even and they still work fine. The vacuum does the work the canister just stores.

Now are they as efficient? Not 100% sure. But, I've seen cars with them relocated pass emissions. So, I can't see how just simply turning it sideways will hurt.

I'm not certain on these cars. I was going mostly of older or less sophisticated cars. I believe on the mn12 the computer dictates when it is time to purge rather than intake manifold pressure. Still, the valve creates a vacuum, so I still don't see a problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
It's connected to the vent lines in the fuel system, and a vacuum port thru the evap solenoid.

It's a source for powdered carbon, iirc. :)

Wiki:
Evaporative emissions are the result of gasoline vapors escaping from the vehicle's fuel system. Since 1971, all U.S. vehicles have had fully sealed fuel systems that do not vent directly to the atmosphere; mandates for systems of this type appeared contemporaneously in other jurisdictions. In a typical system, vapors from the fuel tank and carburetor bowl vent (on carbureted vehicles) are ducted to canisters containing activated carbon. The vapors are adsorbed within the canister, and during certain engine operational modes fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling the vapor into the engine, where it burns.​

It shouldn't need to be oriented any special way; there really shouldn't ever be liquid there.

The manifold vacuum causes the adsorbed VOCs to evaporate out when the solenoid connects it to the inlet.

The overflow on the filler tube flows back into the tank on a separate line, I'm pretty sure.

Some cars throw a code if the gas cap is left off, because there too much evap flow. I don't think our cars do tho.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Some cars throw a code if the gas cap is left off, because there too much evap flow. I don't think our cars do tho.
There wouldnt be much evap flow with a gas cap left off - its more like a vacuum leak.

Our cars dont have a pressure monitor in the system to detect a gas cap left off.

The only code you'll see is if there is a problem with the wiring to the purge solenoid or a purge solenoid failure.

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
That's what I was thinking as well when I first posted the question. Ralph, can you pick up a canister at the JY for me? Lol
I'll have to see what they run at the local You Pull It yard.

I'm getting old - my nephew hasn't had a boneyard for three years now, and I STILL regret he's out of the business *grins*

RwP

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is NOT from a Thunderbird. However it's what most of them look like. I've cut them before and they usually look like this.
(click image to enlarge)

And

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
That's a great source for powdered activated carbon.

It's great for lots of uses; fireworks, rocket engines, molding crucibles... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts