TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
the 54956 has a ceramic honeycomb substrate
and the 59956 has a metallic substrate

basically, the metallic will hold up better to heat and corrosion. its worth the money to buy the metallic substrate. imo.

i think the stocks are ceramic.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Also, the 59956 is physically much larger around than the 54956 if you look at the pictures and is rated for 6000 lbs as opposed to 4500 for the smaller one. They are both 2.5" in/out, however.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
not around here... idk why but i've called them and they all say they can't
Thats strange. I need to get new cats for mine (a new exhaust really) but I have a 1989 so the exhaust routing is not going to be fun...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at this point i'd be willing to make a trip to buffalo or something just to find someone who can. the mandrelexhaustsystems.com place offers the back half of the exhaust, but not the first half...

I called Lincoln motor sport, and asked about their system, and he said stainless steel is useless, mandrel bent is useless. when i asked about their "ice box" which shields the cold air intake from the engine bay, he said they don't sell it anymore, and he tried selling me a 80MM MAF kit, and he told me that i wouldn't need a tune to run it...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Oh hell yeah, I've never seen those before. I want to do that but I am in California and I would have to get cats too and those f'ers are expensive... :tongue:
If you go to the For Sale section here, I saw RCReevesPhotography had an entire Mark VIII exhaust system for sale cheap in really good shape. You might want to check out the pics and/or PM him if there is anything you can use.

·
Registered
917 Posts
cats for our cars in cali are technically obsolete. so far i've only found 2 shops willing to weld cats up to my car

·
Registered
917 Posts
i was quoted about 300 bucks for ONE cat and that was from some hole in the wall shop. but i need both cats done and i'll probably go to a more reputable shop so i'm thinking more $$$

·
Registered
517 Posts
Man that sux! That's one of the many reasons that I love Ohio. not only can we find really cheap places to do the cats/exhaust, we don't even need to have cats where i live. in my county, there are no emission laws.

·
Registered
917 Posts
yea certain countys in california only mandate that you smog your vehicle at time of purchase but no such luck in sacramento county

1 - 19 of 19 Posts