TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all you gurus...

What is the fastest way to remove exhaust manifolds off a 4.6L (without pulling the heads)?

Can someone give me an answer fast?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
Probably drop the K-member. That should give you enough room to get up in there and get them out.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking... but Ford said that they don't pull it at all, they just go in from underneath... and I'm looking at it and going WTF??

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup. Had to replace the cats due to massive exhaust leak, then found out that the back half had rusted badly as well, so have to replace the whole thing.

In the process of removing the cats, a couple studs broke off in the manifolds so now I need to remove them to drill out the bolts that broke.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Leave the manifolds in and drill the studs/bolts out, I'm pretty sure they're accessible enough to do so. Pulling the manifolds would just be extra work.

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
If that's the only reason, then don't pull the manifolds. Just drill them out from underneath, or better yet if there is anything left on them, get a stud extractor and a torch and heat up the manifold around it and use the stud extractor and they will come right out.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heat didn't help... they were in there GOOD...

Ended up drilling out the 2 bolts that snapped without pulling the manifolds... (thank god I had a small enough drill)

Using Stainless hardware in the manifolds now... hopefully it will help preclude the rusting issue for a while.

Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts