TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the HP of the stock bird 4.6, the explorer 4.6, and the Mark VIIIs DOHC that swap into a 95.

also whats the easiest to mod, and which do mods respond the best with?

thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
Mark VIIIs DOHC 290 HP @ 5,750 rpm & 295 lbs.-ft. of torque @ 4,500 rpm
stock bird 4.6 200 hp @ 4,000 rpm & 275 lbs.-ft. of torque @ 3,000 rpm
Explorer SOHC 260 horsepower and 302 pounds of torque (same as stang just AL)

There are a lot of threads on this topic..

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The explorer motor is SOHC, not DOHC.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
94TchikinV8 said:
The explorer motor is SOHC, not DOHC.
and its 239hp due to restrictive exhaust, mechanical fan, tune etc. Aviators have the DOHC 4.6 aluminum block :( so jealous of that motor!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
PI will give you about 260

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I'd guess it'd give you the 260 because you won't have the "restrictive exhaust, mechanical fan, tune etc.".

I'm guessing that if you're going to go to the trouble and expense of putting in a new motor, you might as well put in true duals, and get a good tune.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The explorer PI swap is easy and I think it is alot of bang for the buck.As long as you get the tune your golden.Even though the DOHC has more power it is also much heavier than the Alluminum PI.

NPI 4.6 vs PI 4.6 = night and day difference.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Traveler said:
I'd guess it'd give you the 260 because you won't have the "restrictive exhaust, mechanical fan, tune etc.".

I'm guessing that if you're going to go to the trouble and expense of putting in a new motor, you might as well put in true duals, and get a good tune.
Yeah exactly.. you will be able to get the 260+ out of it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what about with a blower on? will there still only be about 30 hp difference between the PI and the DOHC? and what about mods, does the DOHC get more power from mods?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
if u have money get the dohc... its twice the price to mod

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Alright...this topic could continue forever...
The BEST way I can sum up a topic like this is:
If you had $1,000 to spend on each motor..... which would have more hp?
For $1,000 you could install used comp cams, springs, and get a tune for the SOHC..... which SHOULD yield more power than a DOHC.
If you spend $1,000 on a DOHC, you could MAYBE get a set of used cams.....and you'd still need springs and a tune...
I'm pretty sure only the LSC dohc had 290 hp...the others had 280, im pretty sure.

Oh well...Some people say that the reduced weight makes up for the less horsepower, but like I said...if you spend $1,000 on each motor, I do believe you'd net more HP with the SOHC...just because you can do the valvetrain for half price

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
when you put thoes engines into the tbird

base will be about 180

pi 230-240
dohc 225-235

·
Registered
619 Posts
not tryin to jack this thread but, why are the t-bird 4.6 makin so much less power then the other 4.6's?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
95xbird said:
The explorer PI swap is easy and I think it is alot of bang for the buck.As long as you get the tune your golden.Even though the DOHC has more power it is also much heavier than the Alluminum PI.
Really? Just how much?

;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
why do people go through the trouble of doing a pi explorer motor swap instead of just a pi head swap? won't that do the same thing and be easier?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
awdRocks said:
and its 239hp due to restrictive exhaust, mechanical fan, tune etc. Aviators have the DOHC 4.6 aluminum block :( so jealous of that motor!!!
Well I guess the new Explores even have a better motor now over the Aviators, with the 3v. Someone correct me if im wrong but a 3v motor is better than the 4v's? Main reason being the VCT.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
GreenBird said:
Really? Just how much?

;)
You are looking at a 20hp difference between the two motors.And for the extra cost of modding I couldn't go with the DOHC.But my goal is to have another bird and install a DOHC in the future,This way I'll have both.:D

sniper77 said:
why do people go through the trouble of doing a pi explorer motor swap instead of just a pi head swap? won't that do the same thing and be easier?
Droping a whole complete PI motor in a bird is alot less hassle and can be some times cheaper.Beside's that you can keep compression down with doing the whole swap so that way you can force feed the motor later.;)
Eric,
Just let me know when you are going to jump on the PI band wagon and I'll be there to help you install it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts