TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the intake plenum, there is a tube, which connects to a small box, and then from the little box to the intake tube.

the little box is empty, so what's it for? moreover, what is that whole tube for, it's not PCV is it? that's the second hose on the intake tube, that connects to the head cover.

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
My guess is that it's a resonance chamber to prevent noise from the IAC valve. It's a computer controlled solenoid that allows the appropriate amount of air into the engine with the throttle closed, e.g. at idle.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The tube coming off the valve cover is PCV
I think you're talking about a different tube than BigJohnny is - he's talking about the rubber hose that plugs into the IAC motor, connects to a black plastic box and then makes a 90 degree bend where it then connects to the air intake tube. That black plastic box is located directly behind the alternator.

If I understand him correctly.

Dennis

·
Registered
258 Posts
theterminator93 got it. It's essentially a muffler for the IAC to prevent noise from getting out of the intake. Obviously, the hoses are to provide air to the engine with the throttle closed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know exactly what it is, but when my freind disconnected his on his 2002 Mustang, and then plugged the holes, it ran for crap! He says it is to keep the rpm up between shifts, but I beg to differ. All I am saying is that it made the engine run terribly when it was plugged.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know exactly what it is, but when my freind disconnected his on his 2002 Mustang, and then plugged the holes, it ran for crap! He says it is to keep the rpm up between shifts, but I beg to differ. All I am saying is that it made the engine run terribly when it was plugged.
It shouldn't be plugged!!! This supplies the engine air at idle.

·
Super Moderator
16,974 Posts
I think you're talking about a different tube than BigJohnny is - he's talking about the rubber hose that plugs into the IAC motor, connects to a black plastic box and then makes a 90 degree bend where it then connects to the air intake tube. That black plastic box is located directly behind the alternator.

If I understand him correctly.

Dennis
on the intake plenum, there is a tube, which connects to a small box, and then from the little box to the intake tube.

the little box is empty, so what's it for? moreover, what is that whole tube for, it's not PCV is it? that's the second hose on the intake tube, that connects to the head cover.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Now, would the engine sound any different if there was just a hose connected from the IAC to the intake tube with out the black box?

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
My only guess would be that there might be a bit of a whine/whistle audible at certain RPM ranges.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes thats the box I'm talking about, but I couldn't imagine it being loud without it.

I removed my airflow silencer from my airbox..... it was only yesterday that I actually heard anything from the sound of my intake, and it was in a small VERY VERY VERY quite neighborhood, and was a barely audible noise that I figured was my intake.....sounds really cool, but the silencer is obviously pointless.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It shouldn't be plugged!!! This supplies the engine air at idle.
Like I said, I had nothing to do with it. :D Just what happened to him and I was sharing the experience so no one would make that bad of a judgement again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts