TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car's 7 years old with 130,000 miles on it and it still has the original pipes, that look to be in real good condition. What did Ford make these out of that they have lasted so long? I've been lucky to get 3 or 4 years out of replacement exhaust in the past.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Stainless, its just a lower grade that still gets surface rust.

-Miller

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I havr 212,500 miles on my original exhaust system, and it is still looking fine.

Wish I could say the same for the y-shaped three-cat unit.

On my third one. Dan Newman's price with discount is $1400 just for that piece.

You can always get an aftermarket set-up, of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Type 409 stainless steel is typically used by the OEMs for exhaust these days. It is a ferritic grade, so that's why it still develops the red oxide, but it lasts much longer than plain carbon steel exhaust tubing. Most folks are more familiar with Type 304 stainless steel (such as used in kitchen sinks, appliances and utensils), which is an austenitic grade and keeps it's shiny appearance better.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Here is a ? for you guys. Why do the OEM exhaust systems last so much longer than aftermarket ones, thats what i dont get.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
welder4956 said:
Type 409 stainless steel is typically used by the OEMs for exhaust these days. It is a ferritic grade, so that's why it still develops the red oxide, but it lasts much longer than plain carbon steel exhaust tubing. Most folks are more familiar with Type 304 stainless steel (such as used in kitchen sinks, appliances and utensils), which is an austenitic grade and keeps it's shiny appearance better.

There is your answer..

·
Registered
100 Posts
The factory cats back is made of chineseium, and the cat pipe is made of a blend of irreplacium and unobtainium. Hope this clears things up! ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
paper machaie

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Will3799 said:
What kind of piping do shops usually use, does it rust like oem?
:D Yes I am quoting myself but does anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Will3799 said:

:D Yes I am quoting myself but does anyone know the answer?
They usually use aluminized plain steel, that's whay they tend to not last as long.

-Miller

1 - 13 of 13 Posts