TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyone on here became enthusist of these cars.

For me it was a day after school 6 years ago, i drove by a car lot on the way home from schoo. Up on a spinning platform was my tbird, and i stopped and looked at it, drove it home that day, talked to my dad and older brother and we got it though the dealership for wholesale.

(the place it came from is a local used car lot in town that is good friends with us at our dealership and we wholesale quite a bit back and forth)

ive had the same car ever sence, also only car ive owned, ive had about 5 trucks but as car as a car this is my only one.

Its still stock, im still trying to figure out which route i want to go with mods, but in the 6 years its only seen snow a hand full of times.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My Father bought it as a used car. After driving it on the odd occassion I decided I liked it. Especially for it's v8, rear drive layout.

Looked at a few myself, even a Mark IIIV, 4.6L 4 valve.

Combine winter, the rear drive of the Tbird and my Father's driving skills that have deterioated over the years I talked him into buying a full size front wheel drive car.

He moved into a 00 LeSabre and the trade in on the Tbird was enough to make anyone dizzy. So my chance came, I bought it.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Needed a second car, this is in Maryland, went to a sale that Waldorf Ford was having, wife found a Merc Sable that she wanted to look at. The price in the paper wasn't what was advertised and we didn't want to spend that kind of money on that car. This was on a wholesale lot too.....
Now, mind you I had an iffatuation with Thunderbirds since I was a kid, its all my moms fault with her 66.
So the Salesman, asks what we are looking for and all that goody goody, and we left that day with what we have now. Had to do alot of selling and had to make a promise, one that has already been fulfilled.
So, that was back in 1998, and I am as happy if not happier about my purchase than I was when I got her.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was young. she was blue. i walked up to her in the lot she purrred at me like a stang i was late for a date with this chick so i had them do the paper work wile i went home got in the shower dad gave me and my date a lift to the dealership i laide the 3grand down signed my name afew times and we were off it was a good date

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
I saw the car at a car cruise. I had been looking for a rear drive v8. I wanted a manual, but REALLY didn't want a column shift If I got an automatic. this had the floor shift. cool paint, chrome wheels, leather interior, cd player, 80,000 miles, sunroof, incredibly cheap insurance. got a surprise in the irs and lsd. (didnt know about that stuff at the time) the leather interior and chrome wheels are gone now, but I couldnt have chosen a better value. as I later found out, it also really turns some heads at drift competitions, and handles better than some "sports cars".

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
I fell in love with T-birds through nascar. I just thought they were a slick looking vehicle. Im not much of a Nascar fan anymore, but i still love the car and its timeless design, not to mention what it offers.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Where do I start. . . . I learned to drive on an '82 with a 3.8 and so when the chance came at the ripe old age of 21 to buy my first car "on my own", I decided that I wanted either a T-bird or nothing else. I kept looking and eventually found one of my '94s at the College Station, TX Ford dealer. They also had a '95, but it had more miles and a v6. I bought it for the outrageous price of $8500 with only 54,000 miles on it. This included a 3/36,000 extended warranty. This car is a little different in that I bought it in Texas, but it was originally purchased at Galpin Ford in CA. We have been through a lot together and Iwill never get rid of it for sentimental reasons. It has over 300,000 miles on it and has taken me across the country a few times. I would still trust it to take me anywhere I wanted/needed to go. The only time it has ever left me on the side of the road was a few months ago when I broke the rear axles (my fault).

I have to go wipe my eyes now. . . . .I can't stop crying. :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
I started with an old '86 Bird, bought at an impound for $250. She was originally gonna be a demolition derby car. Well, 16th birthday rolled around, and I needed a car. And there was the Bird, primer and all, ready to run...for about 3 months. then, one night after my Firefighter 1 class, I come home and there is the '92, sitting under the floodlight, shining. Just shy of two years later, after being fed up with having that roaring 140 horses under the hood, I managed to get ahold of my '97 Sport for like $1500, less than the '92 was. Granted, the Sport needed some work, but it was well worth it.

I like these 'Birds because they're one of the few rear wheel drive cars around, that are pretty sporty, and I can put my 6'4" frame into

·
Registered
132 Posts
got into mine once i noticed that is was one of the few 4.6s you could buy with 3000 that had less than 75,000 miles on it and its a FORD

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Well.........

Well..........I had an 80 T-Bird when the kids were small. Then my Sons bought a
94' Cougar 4.6 XR/7 (oldest Son) and a 95' T-Bird 4.6 LX (youngest Son).
Oldest Son lost the Cougar in an accident and bought a 94 4.6 T-Bird LX.
Dad wanted to join the fun too...................so I bought a Super Coupe.
I plan to keep it and give to one of my Grandkids..........when we have Grandkids.

·
Registered
956 Posts
In 1995 my Grandpa got t-boned in his 1981 T-Bird. He took the insurance money and put down on an '89 T-Bird. Sadly he passed away in early '97 and I took over payments. Since 1997, I've been a huge fan of MN12s.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My friends boy friend had the cougar and was always having issues with it so I would help him out here and there. He would always come to me to see what I thought and then took it to his mechanic, after what ever issue was fixed he told me that I was always dead on with what the issue was. Then one day my friend and her bf went to FL and while he was there he bought a new used escape and then when he got back he gave me the cougar. Since then I have put a lot of time and money into it to make it as great as it is today.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A few years ago, due to financial concerns, I had made the painful decision to part with my beloved '64 Falcon Sprint and last year was looking for a dirt cheap rear drive V-8 project car to start over with. I found it in the form of my '92 Sport and trailered it home for the princely sum of $250.00. Since last June I've been slowly collecting parts and am looking forward to the day when I can legally take her for my first cruise.:)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I bought a POS 1990 T-bird to use as a temp car while I get my truck painted. Paid $500 for it (probably too much). I decided to check online to see how to fix some things for it and get some general knowledge about my car. I ended up on TCCOA and SCCOA and saw some awesome pics of 94+ year birds (my fav) and decided I wanted to get one.

I also was thinking of buying a mustang, but the price difference was huge. I could get an awesome condition bird for $2000, or a high mileage v-6 mustang that needs tons of work for $2000. So bird it was.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I fell in love with T-birds through nascar. I just thought they were a slick looking vehicle. Im not much of a Nascar fan anymore, but i still love the car and its timeless design, not to mention what it offers.
Ditto.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
It was 3 years old, super clean, cheap, and only had 19k miles on it.

Now it is very cheap. These cars are old and have no value, owned by a bunch of kids, most of them are punked out junk. Look at the classifieds here, it looks like a junkyard, crap like hoods and doors. Every good performance part I put up for sale gets sold on some other board to a Mustang owner.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Got rear ended in my cavalier. Looked for a car to replace it at the local Dodge dealer, test drove a neon and almost bought it and then checked insurance. The dealer had the Cougar on the lot, gave me a better deal on it because he didn't want the non-Mopar stuff on the lot and insurance was cheaper.

Now I'm just trying to keep the [email protected] thing running and in one piece!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
When I was about 16 my mother brought home a gorgeous 94 v6 Thunderbird.It was the first one I have ever sat in.When I got in it I loved the interior.That pretty much did it for me right there with the car.It was stylish and drove exceptional.The my mother gave it to my older brother who then beat the hell out of it untill it's head gaskets blew.I helped my father do the head gaskets at the age of 17.(More like watching and learning)My brother got another car when I just turned 18 so he had no more use for the Tbird.So I very happily took the car off his hands.I drove the piss out of it for about 6 months.Blew the tranny and got it rebuilt.The car was overall a great car and I loved it so much!

One day my mother tells me she is going to look at a Mustang to buy.I figure I should go with her to look at it.As we are there I spot this 95 Thunderbird with a full Xenon body kit and it was a V8.I ask the salesman for the keys and I check it over.The car is immaculant!!!!The cleanest Bird I had ever seen.With low miles!So my father and I take it on a test drive.Of course I am driving very slow and respectful.The car felt great.Then my father tells me to pull over so he can drive.

He gets in and first thing he does is cock the wheel to the left and goose the chit out of it.Got the car all kinds of sideways.After that he looks at me and says in a very stern voice "BUY IT".
And the rest is kinda history.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
18 right out of high school (2002) I saw a 94-95 Cougar, dark green, tint, looken great...fell in love with the look right there. Told my dad I had to have it...him being a die hard Ford fan with blue ovel blood told me that the same year Thunderbird was the sister car of the Cougar. The next day I looked up the Thunderbirds and liked the body style better and starting hunting for a Thunderbird. My first was a 95 dark red, moon, keyless, V6....So far I've had 5 MN-12s...Found this site in 2002 but didnt join tell 2003 for some reason. Nice thread starter!

How I got my Allen Thunderbird!

·
Registered
767 Posts
i honestly dont really know why i liked t-birds.i remember when i was a little younger i saw one in the jewel parking lot and thought o myself "i kinda like that car" Other than that it was probably because of my brothers cougar,i thought it was fast (only other cars i drove or rode in was the drivers ed cars (grand am's/grand prix's) a 98 malibu and a 93 crown vic,so well yeah it seemed like a beast to me.Then the time came when i went off to UTI that i needed a car of my own to drive.so at that time i had hardly an idea about cars really and i had decided i wanted a supercoupe so i searched around for supercoupes went and looked at a beat up one,actually won one off ebay drove two hours waited two hours and drove two hours back without my 92 5 speed sc.So then one day through tccoa i found this badboy http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=67809&highlight=beautiful+95+lx+chicago

i contacted him immediatly and bought it the next day and it was such an awesome feeling and the car looked so immaculate (only had like 1000 miles on a fresh paint job) i loved it.its almost been two years now and she's changed alot since then mostly because of this site but thats the story of my car.and im hell bent on keeping it until it completly dies or somthing happens and i need to sell it,otherwise she aint goin nowhere:tongue:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts