TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing "wetness" on the "valley" or top of my motor, behind the alternater for some time, and was thinking of the intake-leak.

today I wrapped a paper towel around a long stick, and stuck it behind the alternater, and rubbed it on the valley, where the wetness was: it doesn't look like coolant or greenish at all, paper towel was just looking dirty-wet, like just dust/dirt mixed with water and normal black-looking grime...what can this be?(btw, my coolant is very green looking in the reservoir)

I've no oil consumption with dino oil per 3k miles, the level doesn't drop at all,
with syn.oil the level drops 1/4 on the dipstick per 1000 miles(now using syn.oil of 0w-30 weight)
I wonder if this is oil, but really looked more like dirty/sludgy water. IF it's oil, can that be the valve-cover gaskets leaking/weeping?

Still, during winter especially, coolant level in the reservoir drops about 1/4 to 1/2 inch per 3k miles. Never had a "low coolant" light on.

No oil or coolant puddles under the car. oil looks very clean.

No signs of overheating/white smoke/coolant in oil etc...so I don't think it's a head-gasket leak(???)
One guy taold me that in winter, because the heater is used, it's normal for some coolant to be circulated more and be evaporated, thus the drop in level. Does that make sense?

(OR am I worrying too much??:))
How can I verify this further?
Because I want to eliminate the head gasket doubt, I'm going to get my used oil analysed next time I change oil, which will show anti-freeze(Glycol) in it, IF I have any.

Pls. let me know what you guys think; Thanks so much.

·
Registered
632 Posts
This is a shot in the dark, but it may be the coolant hose that runs in the valley is seeping coolant. The valley of the block is really dirty, so that may be why you are not seeing the green coolant. I dont think there is anythign else that can leak there besides oil (which is unlikely).

Thanks,
Andrey

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
it might just be condensation, if it is right behind the alt, and the coolant runner is there, there could be a difference in temperature v.s. the outside temp and condensation??? Could be the infamous crack also...but if it isnt coolant... eh?

·
Registered
298 Posts
#1, 0w-30 Synthetic is TO THIN. Your headgaskets and valve cover gaskets will Weep with that stuff. To my knowledge there are only about 4 cars on the market designed for that stuff.

Use 5w-20 at the lowest.

I would bet money on either intake or the heater hose in the valley, a short run of it is rubber and likes to burst. Go down to pepboys or NAPA and get a vial of UV dye for your coolant drive on the insterstate for 20 minutes, come back and hit it with a blacklight, that will tell you if it's anitfreeze.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts