TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girlfriend needs a transfer case for her truck that is supposed to cause 800 dollars? What exactly is this part and what does it do?

Edit.. I meant cost... crap.. ENG 102 isn't coming through for me!!

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
The transfer case is off to the side of the transmission. Its has a driveshaft coming out of it that goes to the front axle to drive the front wheels when 4WD is engaged.

The good thing is that you can wait to repair it if you (she) doesn't have $800 to fix it (unless you need the 4WD working now).

·
Registered
137 Posts
91HellCat said:
The transfer case is off to the side of the transmission. Its has a driveshaft coming out of it that goes to the front axle to drive the front wheels when 4WD is engaged.

The good thing is that you can wait to repair it if you (she) doesn't have $800 to fix it (unless you need the 4WD working now).
Not entirely true. The TC also transmits power to the rear wheels even when the 4WD is disengaged. If the unit is bad, chances are it will not go at all.

$800 is what I would consider the high side of normal for a new unit, and a rip for a rebuilt for an older manual TC.

What year truck? Older transfer cases are more simplistic, and therefore cheaper. The newer electronic TC's are going to cost more simply because they have more crap on them.

Doug

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1993 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 Auto with 4WD/Low Range

This guy works at the dealership and is a friend of their family.. I wouldn't let him touch my T-Bird unless I absolutely had to.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I'd say that as long as it drives normally in 2WD with no "bad" noises (grinding, banging, etc.) then she'll be fine. Change/rebuild it when she gets the money. That's if you don't need 4WD though, if so then it depends what's broke and why the guy says it needs changed. What exactly are the symptoms, what's it doing?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.. She said the tranny is acting weird.. We ALL know the tranny itself is going bad.. At one time.. The truck refused to go in reverse..

That Ranger has had a ton of problems... I don't understand why she didn't just buy something different when the engine needed to be overhauled.

She floors (accelerates heavily) it wherever she goes and uses those brakes hard.

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
DougMenke said:

Not entirely true. The TC also transmits power to the rear wheels even when the 4WD is disengaged. If the unit is bad, chances are it will not go at all.

$800 is what I would consider the high side of normal for a new unit, and a rip for a rebuilt for an older manual TC.

What year truck? Older transfer cases are more simplistic, and therefore cheaper. The newer electronic TC's are going to cost more simply because they have more crap on them.

Doug
80% of the time the failure just prevents the application of power to the front shaft.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some new news about this TC trouble... Supposedly.. She has to put it in 4WD to put it in reverse.. because it's the only way the truck will roll back...

Real great job on the repairs huh? That's why I let only dealerships touch my car.. I can complain if they mess up..

For example.. Intake Manifold needed replacing... I took it to a Ford dealership, an error was made which caused the car to miss, we took it to ANOTHER dealership and got the error repaired, and then the first dealership repaid us the money we paid to get the error fixed.

I have learned.. NEVER let anyone work on your car unless it's you. For me I have had nothing but BAD experiences letting others that weren't official work on my car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go to therangerstation.com if you have questions concerning anything about a Ford Ranger/BroncoII or any of the Mazda varations. Hope this helps! Red

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really wouldn't matter man... They won't listen to a damn thing I say because I'm not a "master mechanic" like he is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts