TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 5.0 is on ebay right now. and another 5.0 would be great, but the ones i find have highmilage and dont have the dough to do a tranny/engine placement. so i was lookin at the 94-95 as my next bird, since imo theh front looks better than 96-97. and for likr 5g u can get pretty low mileage. the only thing i really read about the 94-95 are tranny issues? searched 2 days lookin cause i know its out there, just no luck. anyone wanna fill me in.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
The trannies fail, the accumulator pistons break, the heads suck, the intake manifold sucks, the headlights suck. Oh but they're still nice cars. :)

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
hte 94-95 (the earlier 95's from what I've been told), are known to have week trannies...the 4r70w isn't the best...Although, you can reduce chances of problems by doing a J-mod and a good trannie cooler...Other then that, I love both my 94 and 95 4.6ers...never had a prob with either of them...then again, they have 60K and 80K respectively on the odometer...maybe someone can fill in what I have missed?!?!?!?

Shane

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'll agree with everything above and add that the valve stem seals were a bad design and are know to leak. The symptom is once warm and idling for a long while a large cloud of smoke will billow out when you take off. But it usually won't burn oil more than a normal engine.

But other than that, I think they are just as good as the 96/97. (I agree the front looks better :D )

Oh, and the cruise control doesn't have the "tap down" feature like the 96+!!! :mad:

Ok, just a pet peave of mine, but still.... :D

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Don't forget that the bottom end has a weakness also-the rear main on the '94-'95's have no crossbolts.
JL

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I personally prefer the '96 Birds to all others. They have the revised styling, which I love. I love the hood, and definitely the headlights. The lights are great. They still have the good instruments, unlike the '97. It'll take PI Cams no problem. The trans is better. 3.27 gears are standard, and the list goes on...

You should be able to find a decent '94-96 for less than 5 grand as well.

·
3,232 Posts
Palmguy said:
They still have the good instruments, unlike the '97.
That can be fixed...and the '97's tend to be a bit lighter than the earlier cars.
JL

·
Registered
726 Posts
The 94-95's are no where near as bad as some would have you think. Switch to mercon v, get a tranny cooler and the deep sump pan, and there will be little reason to worry about tranny failure (these additions, btw, are recommend for ALL 94-97 mn12's)
My opinion is to get a 94-95 4.6 v8, but what does my opinion matter? Look at 95-95s and 96-97s, and see what you like better.
IMHO, the 96-97s seem overly clad with plastic and have a noticable roundness to them, giving them a pregnent pontiac look. 94-95s are much cleaner, much sharper. But whatever you like.

Make no mistake, 94-95s are VERY solid cars, and with some slight modifcations, will take you to 200000+ miles with little hassle.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
WhiteBird101 said:
The 94-95's are no where near as bad as some would have you think. Switch to mercon v, get a tranny cooler and the deep sump pan, and there will be little reason to worry about tranny failure (these additions, btw, are recommend for ALL 94-97 mn12's)
My opinion is to get a 94-95 4.6 v8, but what does my opinion matter? Look at 95-95s and 96-97s, and see what you like better.
IMHO, the 96-97s seem overly clad with plastic and have a noticable roundness to them, giving them a pregnent pontiac look. 94-95s are much cleaner, much sharper. But whatever you like.

Make no mistake, 94-95s are VERY solid cars, and with some slight modifcations, will take you to 200000+ miles with little hassle.
my car is not a knocked up pontiac.....j/k

joseph

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:

But other than that, I think they are just as good as the 96/97. (I agree the front looks better :D )

Oh, and the cruise control doesn't have the "tap down" feature like the 96+!!! :mad:

:D
if he wants a 94.-95 he can get one mine is a 94 and has the 96+ intake and the cruise control working also

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
How the cars compare looks-wise is a matter of taste. I have a 95 and a 96 and like em both.

In terms of stock performance there are differences:

The later the model the better the trans.

The intakes and heads flow much better on the 96-97's and they have a couple of points more compression.

There is a 15-20 actual horsepower difference between the two. In other words the 96-97's come closer to the rated HP than the 95's

Regarding performance modifying..

You can make the 95's perform as well or better than the 96-97's, by taking the 95 heads and manifolds off and replacing them with something else, or by putting in a more radical cam... but your starting with a 15 hp deficit. And when you mod a '95, your not gonna want to PNP the '95 heads, you're gonna want to get 96-97's, and the 95 cores are pretty much worthless, no one wants to work with them... and when you put 96-97 heads on, you may want to swap in a 96-97 manifold (it flows better) or a FRPP or aftermarket intake (and change the hood for clearance), and no one will want your 95 manifold...

That being said, I absolutely love to drive my all stock '95 bird... she's got 30,000 original miles on her and she's a true luxury sports sedan...

My modded '96 is a whole different breed of bird... and she was so even before I started modding.....

Both the 95 and 96-97's are great cars ... if you can get a good deal on a '95, do it... but if there is a 96 or 97 out there in the same ballpark, consider the differences...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll agree that the earlier nose and non-paneled sides present a "cleaner" appearance...(IMHO)
Can't argue with the power figures but I do have a question 'bout it....

96Goldbird sez...
And when you mod a '95, your not gonna want to PNP the '95 heads, you're gonna want to get 96-97's, and the 95 cores are pretty much worthless, no one wants to work with them... and when you put 96-97 heads on, you gotta go with 96-97 manifold
...and I thought I'd read, a couple months back, that the hot set-up for a '95 was a
set of '96-98 NPI heads with PI cams and that it COULD be done using the '95 intake so that there would be no hood clearance issues...
Comments/guidance?

BTW...Hey 96Goldbird and the rest of you attendees...Nice pics from the recent gathering!!!

DR

·
3,232 Posts
Yes,you can use the '95 Intake with the '96-'97 Heads.The intake ports are the same externally.
JL

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Jurgen said:

…. and the cruise control working also
A little off topic, but is your "tap down" feature working now that you converted to the 96 intake?

When I say "tap down" I'm talking about tapping the coast button and the speed will decrease in 1 mph increments for each time it's tapped. Apparently when they went to the new type cruise control in the 96+ cars they added that feature.

PM me if that part of your conversion is working and let me know how you wired it up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Johnny Langton said:
Yes,you can use the '95 Intake with the '96-'97 Heads.The intake ports are the same externally.
JL
Thanks JL, I stand corrected and edited my previous post...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
96 GoldBird said:

The intakes and heads flow much better on the 96-97's and they have a couple of points more compression.

Any NPI 4.6 should be 9:1 compression.

Not until '99 GTs did compression bump up to 9.3:1.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Palmguy said:

Any NPI 4.6 should be 9:1 compression.

Not until '99 GTs did compression bump up to 9.3:1.
And when did they bump to 10:1???

Dam I hate passing on bad info... When I was deciding whether to mod the '95 or the '96, someone who shall remain nameless told me the progression was:

9:1 in 95
9.3:1 in 96
10:1 in 99

I apologize for not confirming that before passing it on.....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts