TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, my 96 4.6-powered 'Bird is approaching the 100K mark, and I'm curious as too if I should keep it or trade it for a newer ride.....Are there any troubles you people are having with parts wearing out once you get up there? I know I've seen some Cougars and Birds for sale with almost 150K miles, so I'm pretty sure mine will go the distance (very well-maintained), but I don't wanna haft spend a lot of $ to keep it going when I could get rid of it and be better off in a new car.....Also, alot of the miles are, and will keep being, highway miles(almost 60 miles one way to work everyday) Thanks.....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I like these questions…because I get to "brag" a little!! :D

I'm at 260,000 miles on the original engine and still going strong!! :znanner:

Seriously, thought, from what I've researched, the 4.6L engine will last forever.... I have heard of a lot of CV having 300K+ miles on them and still no problems. And those are usually stop-and-go driving from fleet vehicles.

So I'd say with 100K, it's time to start modding it. :thumbsup:

It's just now getting broken in. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saweet!! You know, now that I think about it, I read in an older Off-Road mag that Ford tore apart a 4.6 in one of their trucks at 100,000 and it showed virtually no signs of internal wear.....I'm already sure I'm gonna keep it!! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Not daily driven.
Supercharger installed in April of 2000 at 49,950.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
My 95 LX 4.6 is at 205,500

Here's all I've replaced.

1. Starter (first day under warranty)
2. Radio (2nd week, under warranty)
3. 3 rounds of pads and rotors.
4. Radiator and attached hoses.
5. Catalytic converter y-piece (110,00 miles)
6. MLPS sensor
7. Drivers side outer tie-rod
8. strut rod bushings at the lower control arm.
9. Outlet hose on the back of the water pump
10. Water pump (for peace of mind at 190,000 miles.
11. Both trunk tailights (fixed by swapping innards)
12. Driver's side upper control arm (bad ball joint)
13. Driver's side emergency brake cable at the caliper.
14. Rear springs and shocks (upgraded to Sport)

Engine and tranny are all original, and have never been rebuilt.
All other bearings and bushings are original.

EDIT:

15. Idler and tensioner pullies
16. Alternator bearings and voltage regulator

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
My 95 LX 4.6 is at 205,500 ... tranny are all original, ...
***cough, cough*** :bs: ***cough, cough***.... j/k :D

Just kidding!! ;)

It's AMAZING that your tranny is still alive with those miles!! :bowdown:

I'm on my 4th.... but the last rebuild was to the J-spec and that was 120K miles ago... :eek:

Just messing with ya! :thumbsup:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
96, 90K miles...

1: New pads and Rotors turned @ 33K
2: J-mod and tranny cooler at 76K
3: fluids changed regularly.

That's right, it still has the original plugs and wires. everything else I've done were upgrades. :D

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
102k....
just starting to throw mods at it....

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
JustinH...u need to take that pic off...u just make us jealous...lol:D

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
114k and I just blew the original transmission. It's getting rebuilt to Jerry's article to the lowest horsepower specs. Already got the 99 VB and the updated accumulators, etc. When I had the timing cover and valve covers off to install the cams, it was clean and all hell. The bearings on the stock cams didn't have any apparent wear/scoring on them... very well put together engines and they probably will last forever if you take care of them.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
The bearings on the stock cams didn't have any apparent wear/scoring on them...
:2huh: Bearings ... Cams?

No cam bearings. The steel cams ride right on the aluminum heads protected by a thin, pressurized film of oil. :eek:

Although, there are now bearing available to repair a bad head. :thumbsup:

Just spreading the word about the cams (and the stupid design thereof). :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just hit 39,000 miles last week on my '97. Only replaced the tires so far. :D

622 Posts
My '95 has about 156,000 ... i got it at 96,000. The only things that I have done out of the ordinary are... replaced mufflers(galsspacks previous owner had were rusted through..) replaced o2 sensors, the rest is general maintenance( oil changes, tranny servicing, brakes, tires, etc.) although i do need to replace the upper control arms (for crunch--- as i have gathered) and something else, can't rememeber what( for the pop when i make a right turn at slow speeds). that's it though..

seth

oh yeah she burns/leaks oil also.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
94 4.6 Cougar, 122,2XX Miles, Purchased @ 80,000

1. New Plugs and wires (2 times)
2. 2 sets of tires
3. J mod @118,000
4. A few mods starting @ about 118,000

Other than that, everything but mods are OEM

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, my 94 (actually my wife's) has 243K on it.

So far I replaced the tranny at 90k but that was before I knew about all the little problems with the early 4r70w's. I replaced it with a 95 spec ford reman and did the j-mod and have replaced the fluid every 20-25k since. I got some converter shudder at 190k but have been changing the fluid every 20k since and it hasn't come back. Shifts firm and fluid is still nice & red when I change it. But the front seal is starting to leak.

I also rebuilt the entire front suspension at 190k. The tires were wearing the insides out and rather than chase 1 part after another I shelled out the $800 in parts to rebuild it completely. Tires wear fine now.

Also replaced: water pump, wheel bearings, u joints, fuel pump, and all the other normal wear stuff.

I normally replace stuff before it breaks. If i feel I've gotten the useful service out of a part I go ahead and replace it whether it's bad or not. My wife commutes into newark, NJ every day so I don't want it ever breaking down. If I drove it I'd wait longer to replace stuff.

Use regular name brand 5W-30 oil changed every 3-5k, usually closer to 3k. No synthetic. Currently burns 1 qt every 1000-1200, but that is fairly recent and believe leaks to be the culprit. Prior to that it started needing 1 qt between changes at about 140k.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I noticed that all of these cars have the 8 cylinder engines. Are the 6's just as good or are we out of luck as far as longevity. Does anybody with a 6 have that much mileage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 86 Bird has just under 220k on the origional engine (3.8). It uses less than 1 qt. during 3000 mile oil changes. Never been apart, but it's starting to get tired, cam chain is making noise and the head gaskets are starting to weep anti-freeze (not much though). Haven't decided what to do yet (3.8 or 4.2). My 93 Bird has about 125k on it's 3.8. One set of head gaskets, no other major problems. Both cars are stored during this nasty time of the year (winter).

1 - 20 of 83 Posts