TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In July? of 2010 my wheel bearing went bad so I took it over to a NTB and they replaced it for ~$300 bucks. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed some play in the steering at highway speeds and that dang squeaking noise in the hub; took it back to NTB and sure enough the wheel bearing is bad :mad:..... Same wheel- rear passenger side (drive wheel)... Needless to say I am pretty pissed they wouldn't replace it for free that's just ridiculous only getting 2 years out of a wheel bearing.

So instead of giving these idiots another $300 bucks I am going to do it myself (I will try to post some pictures) but my question was if maybe the NTB guys installed it wrong or maybe there is something else in the suspension that caused it to go out so quickly? Maybe the hub?

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
What brand did they install? There are a ton of poor quality overseas bearings flooding the market. I refuse to use anything other than Timken or National.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brandon, I don't remember which brand and I wish I would have asked. I do remember they gave me the best/most expensive bearing they had to offer because I was telling him with the shift kit and other upgrades it could probably use the best one he has.

I could actually order a new hub and bearing already pressed in from auto zone for like 60 somethin bucks.. (if in fact it is a bad hub) instead of taking it to a machine shop to have the bearing pressed in. Although I didn't order it because I thought the bearing was pressed into the knuckle..

Edit:

I forgot to mention this but I did just replace the lower control arm bushing/ upper knuckle bushing as it was creating play in the suspension.. I wonder if that might have been part of the problem..

·
Registered
570 Posts
The bearing is pressed into the knuckle, and the hub is then pressed into the bearing. Most people don't properly support the bearing when pressing in the hub, and that's what leads to early failure.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Bad Wheel Hub

TBIRD1997 said:
Is there any way of telling if the hub is bad just by looking at it?
Bad Wheel Hub.jpg
Notice how the Hub on the right is worn..Compared to the good Hub on the left..

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Crap ok I think the wheel hub is bad too. I got the shop to replace the bearing but when I got it back there is still a lot of play between the bearing and the hub... So I guess I will be taking it back to the shop once I can get a new hub... yay..

Thanks guys for the picture and link!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put it back on the car just for kicks and found that there is zero play once the axle nut is torqued down properly... is there supposed to be play between the bearing and hub when the knuckle is not installed?

EDIT: I'm just going to replace it any way. just for the peace of mind..

·
Registered
570 Posts
... is there supposed to be play between the bearing and hub when the knuckle is not installed?
No. Either the bearing or hub are bad, or it wasn't installed properly.

EDIT: I'm just going to replace it any way. just for the peace of mind..
Find a different shop to do it.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you I saw that. I didn't want to deal with ebay buyers and shipping fees. I went to A1-auto parts? and did a 2 day shipping for $70. I was disappointed I couldn't get them today from a auto parts store (or at all from them) like the wheel bearing

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Axle Nut

OK what's the deal with the rear axle nut??

One time use only and NO BODY carries it!?!? I have one on the way now ordering through Ford but no one else could even order this part. Did anyone else run into this problem?

On a side note it is all back together with a new hub and bearing all ready in the car just need this stupid axle nut..

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Darren I tried those part numbers at a local o'reillys and they can't even special order those anymore. I am hoping Ford will come through for me on this. Anyone else have any other ideas? I'm sure I am not the first nor the last to come across this problem..

Edit:
Well Ford can't get it for like another 3 to 4 days. Wow this is a pain in the ass. I'm just reuse the old one til I get the new one from them; its been a full week without my car between ordering hubs, bearings and getting them all pressed in.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thanks Darren I tried those part numbers at a local o'reillys and they can't even special order those anymore. I am hoping Ford will come through for me on this. Anyone else have any other ideas? I'm sure I am not the first nor the last to come across this problem..

Edit:
Well Ford can't get it for like another 3 to 4 days. Wow this is a pain in the ass. I'm just reuse the old one til I get the new one from them; its been a full week without my car between ordering hubs, bearings and getting them all pressed in.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1997+thunderbird+axle+nut

Dorman 05113

1 - 20 of 27 Posts